While 18th-century philosophers advocated a somber asceticism to cleanse the four humors, modern medicine has proven the benefits of laughter for phlegm, black bile, and yellow bile. Cleanse three of your four humors with today's Groupon: for $20, you'll get a ticket to see tap-dancing nuns and other musical nunsports at the CLO Cabaret's Nunsense (up to a $45 value). Choose one of the following performances:
- Saturday, January 15 at 2 p.m.
- Saturday, January 15 at 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, January 16 at 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 19 at 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, January 20 at 7:30 p.m.
Follow Sister Julia through a maze of nunnery wackiness as she accidentally poisons her fellow nuns, then hosts a variety show to raise funds for their funerals. During the variety show, you'll relive your Catholic-school days through quizzes, cheers, and other audience participation. This getaway of silliness is the perfect complement to your austere winter solstice preparation rituals.
Seating is arranged cabaret style, and food and drinks will be available but are not included in the price of your Groupon. The Pittsburgh CLO is a prestigious, nonprofit cultural institution, so you can be sure your inner theater buff's inner philanthropist's conscience will be pleased.
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette favorably reviewed Nunsense:
- Now that I have witnessed the 25-year musical success story, count me among the believers that convent humor can be habit-forming. It's good, clean fun… – Sharon Eberson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette