Since great aunts cannot resist pinching dimpled cheeks, the overwhelming number of dimples on a golf ball should confuse their grabby hands—defeating them once and for all. Drive dimpled dandies back into their holes with today's Groupon: for $70, you get 18 holes of golf at Poppy Hills Golf Course, in Pebble Beach, and an NCGA membership (a combined $147 value). Act fast to redeem this Groupon, since it only lasts until the end of the month.
Idyllic, sweeping greens entwine with the Del Monte Forest to create an unforgettable 6,857 yards of play at the par 72 Poppy Hills course. The course was designed by Robert Trent Jones II, and plays host to many prominent PGA tour events, including a 19-year run as co-host of the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am. The luxurious links accommodate players of all skill levels with four teeing areas on each hole, a driving range and practice areas for short-game development, and bowling lane-inspired giant bumper walls to save errant shots from the rough. After experiencing the course, visit the on-site pro shop or refresh and refuel at Porter's Grill.
In addition to a round of play, purchasers receive a membership to the Northern California Golf Association, which presently consists of more than 1,250 regular and associate clubs. A membership grants perks including 75% off greens fees at more than 80 courses, discounts on NBA and NHL games, Dell computers, and high fives from Jack Nicklaus, as well as free member services and clinics. This membership is Internet-based and will last through the end of the year, at which time the NCGA will help golfers find a full-time club.
Course aeration is scheduled for March 7, 2011. Sunday availability limited, please schedule in advance.
Golf magazine named Poppy Hills Golf Course number 24 in its list of California's best public courses in 2010. Six Golflink reviewers give Poppy Hills an average of four stars, and more than 20 Yelpers give the course an average rating of five stars.
- Challenging course with tight fairways. Greens are tricky. Played over 200 rounds so far. Love the course. – alerche, Golflink
- Overall, it was a fantastic round of golf, even though I did not play my best (I shot a 100, and had 3 9's). The fact that I still enjoyed the day is testimony to the fact of how beautiful and good a course this is. – Pat M., Yelp, 5/26/09
Poppy Hills Golf Course
Enjoy a magical day of golf in Pebble Beach, CA on historic 17-Mile Drive! Poppy Hills Golf Course is one of the highest rated golf courses in America and home to the PGA Tour and USGA Championships. The course received a $10M+ renovation in 2014 and was awarded the “Best Renovation” that year by all four major golf publications.
Here is what the professionals are saying:
• “It reminds me a little bit of Pinehurst and a little bit of Pine Valley in many ways. This is an excellent course. I loved it.” Colin Montgomerie
• “I think Poppy is amazing. Nothing beats being on the Monterey Peninsula” Mark O’Meara
• “At times, you’re like, Wow, it looks like Augusta” Davis Love III
• “Coolest Hang on 17-mile Drive” Golf Digest