All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
July 15, 2014
April 10, 2014
What You'll Get
Performing martial arts is an exercise with a lot of history behind it, like trying to punch apart Stonehenge. Druid or lose it with this Groupon.
Choose Between Two Options
- $12 for five kickboxing classes with hand wraps ($57.99 value)
- $25 for one month of kickboxing classes with gloves ($94.99 value)
Both options are valid for students 14 and older.
Three Things to Know About Kickboxing
Kickboxing is a popular form of competitive fighting, but it really encompasses many different combat disciplines. Read on to learn more about this martial arts—and fitness—mainstay.
1. Kickboxing is many disciplines in one, incorporating moves and techniques from many martial arts. Punches, kicks, elbows, clinches, and takedowns are all fair game. As such, styles can vary widely among martial-arts purists, boxers, and fighters who work to cultivate a unique approach.
2. Its versatility translates well to fitness. Kickboxing balances upper- and lower-body flexibility with cardiovascular exercise, making for an effective full-body workout. Practitioners also get the benefit of learning self-defense techniques, getting a leg up on their peers who only know how to chuck a treadmill at an attacker.
3. It's not that old. Kickboxing is quite popular in Thailand, which is also home to Muay Thai—a form of boxing, practiced as a regulated sport since the late 19th century, in which fighters don gloves and other pads. In 1966, a Japanese karate promoter became infatuated with Muay Thai—and particularly the full-contact striking that's not allowed in karate—and saw an opportunity to blend the styles. He prepared three karate fighters to take on Muay Thai specialists, and the competition was fierce enough to inspire the birth, a few years later, of kickboxing as an organized sport.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires 90 days after purchase. Amount paid never expires. Appointment required for first visit. Limit 1 per person, may buy 1 additional as gift. Limit 1 per visit. Valid only for option purchased. Not valid for any other products or services. New customers or customers who haven't visited in 6 months. Must be 14 and older for self defense and kickboxing classes. Must sign waiver. Not valid with any other promotions. Classes must be used by the same person and are non transferable. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.