Though Hollywood has produced thought-provoking documentaries about warfare in distant galaxies and the ramifications of spending a weekend with one’s deceased boss, it rarely delves into the equally fascinating tales of real people. Explore the secret life of supermarkets with today's Groupon: for $6, you get two tickets ($7 value each) to the film Ready, Set, Bag!, a documentary that follows the quest of eight hopefuls competing to win the title of Best Grocery Bagger in the United States (click here to view the trailer). Today's deal also includes a $1 donation to the Oregon Food Bank, giving the deal a $15 total value. The film will be shown at Hollywood Theatre; select from the following 13 showtimes:
- Monday, October 4, at 7:30 p.m.
- Monday, October 4, at 9:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 5, at 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 5, at 9:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 6, at 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 6, at 9:30 p.m.
- Thursday, October 7, at 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, October 7, at 9:30 p.m.
- Friday, October 8, at 5 p.m.
- Saturday, October 9, at 1 p.m.
- Saturday, October 9, at 3 p.m.
- Sunday, October 10, at 1 p.m.
- Sunday, October 10, at 3 p.m.
Ready, Set, Bag! documents the quests of eight state-champion grocery baggers as they prepare for the National Grocers Association’s competition for Best Bagger, held every February in Las Vegas. As each contestant trains for the big event and brings order to a chaotic universe one egg carton on top at a time, their life stories and infectious love of what they do will thaw the frozen caveman hearts of any viewer. Best of all, you can watch while basking in the historic grandeur of the Hollywood Theatre, an 84-year-old theater that's seen everything from vaudeville shows and silent films to Cinerama spectacles and the human-sized hamster-wheel fad of the 1970s. A concession stand peddles popcorn, candy, ice cream, and soft drinks to fuel your filmic fantasies with sugar-laced synaptic stimulation.
A $1 donation from each Groupon will also be donated to the Oregon Food Bank, a nonprofit organization dedicated to ending hunger throughout Oregon and Clark County, Washington. The organization also works to eliminate the root causes of hunger through advocacy, nutrition education, learning gardens, and public education. You can also get behind the camera and film your night at the Hollywood Theatre, your favorite local grocery bagger, or your own bagging technique and post your video on YouTube. Get in touch with the Ready, Set, Bag! crew on Facebook or Twitter, and your video could be chosen to be shown on blip.tv (all ad proceeds go to food banks across the country). Regain your faith in humanity after seeing TV promos for Who Can Make the Most Orphans Cry? with a front-row sofa seat to Ready, Set, Bag! at Hollywood Theatre.
- The contestants, all (with the exception of a 50-year-old Minnesota man) in their late teens and early 20s and completely charming in their naiveté, are so enthusiastic and serious about grocery-store life that one feels cynical and hardened by comparison. – Chuck Wilson, LA Weekly
4122 NE Sandy Blvd.
Portland, Oregon 97212Get Directions