Flowers are the best way to shower the world with color, and will remain so until the FAA finally approves techniques for tie-dying clouds. Experience a rainbow-hue universe with today’s Groupon: for $8, you get admission for two adults to Red Butte Garden (up to a $16 value). University of Utah students are admitted free to Red Butte Garden with a valid school ID.
Red Butte Gardens was recognized in 2009 by ParentsConnect as the best tourist spot in Salt Lake City. With properly mannered gardens as well as natural areas, this verdant oasis charms humans, honeybees, and wood sprites of all ages. Exercise the body's primary olfactory organ on the Floral Walk, which provides exclusive access to such botanical hotspots as the Rose Garden, the Fragrance Garden, and the Children’s Garden. Visitors who prefer nature with its grasses untamed and nails unmanicured should proceed directly to the natural area, where trails connected by less than six degrees of separation lead to canyon overlooks, creeks, and quarry houses.
Visitors to Red Butte Garden can bring a picnic and dine on or with herbs, fruit, and edible flowers, or bring a paintbrush and answer only to “Claude” while creating garden-inspired masterpieces. Botanical odysseys take place daily between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., with flower viewing hours extended as late as 9 p.m. in the summer. Guests with disabilities can hop aboard a tram that runs between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. daily May through September to tour the gardens at no additional cost.
Red Butte Garden
The University of Utah considers the blooms of spring flowers, the colors of fall leaves, and the greenery of winter pines to be public resources. With that in mind, the university oversees the Red Butte Garden, a community funded, non-profit outdoor attraction. Across its hundreds of miles, visitors find opportunities to view seasonal foliage or simply relax outside with a good book.
- Size: more than 100 acres, with miles of hiking trails, walking paths, and display gardens
- Eye Catcher: the garden's springtime display of approximately 350,000 bulbs in full bloom
- Don't Miss: the wide variety of roses that bloom along the Floral Walk and in the Rose Garden during summer
- Ways to Explore: private and public tram tours and hikes during warmer months; snowshoe expeditions during the winter
- Special Programs and Entertainment: events for kids; plant sales; gardening classes; film screenings; live shows in the Red Butte Garden Amphitheatre
- Pro Tip: complimentary WiFi suffuses the grounds, making the garden a scenic place to get some work done or play virtual farming games
Salt Lake City
300 Wakara Way
Salt Lake City, Utah 84108Get Directions