Choose from Four Options
- $12 for admission for two ($20 value)
- $20 for admission for four ($40 value)
- $15 for a 1-year individual membership to the Bostonian Society ($50 value)
- $25 for a 1-year family membership to the Bostonian Society ($80 value)
Among other benefits, membership includes free admission to the Old State House museum, invitations to members-only events, and discounts at three Revolutionary Boston Museum Stores. Family memberships apply to all members of your immediate family. Kids 18 and under are always free.
RevolutionaryBoston at the Old State House
". . . then and there the child Independence was born."
—John Adams, after hearing James Otis argue against the Writs of Assistance at the Old State House in 1761
The Old State House is a history book of a building. Within its walls, American revolutionaries gave birth to a new nation. RevolutionaryBoston—the museum that now occupies the building—tells their stories.
Tours (Held Every 30 Minutes)
- Old State House Tour: Relive the first days of the American Revolution
- Boston Massacre Tour: Learn about the events leading to this tragedy and explore the actual site
- Daily-Changing Tours: Delve into special topics such as revolutionary women and the politics of fashion
- John Hancock’s red velvet coat
- Tea salvaged from the Boston Tea Party
- Muskets from the Revolutionary War
Other Things to Do
- Visit the newly-restored 1764 Council Chamber and the Royal Governor’s Chair
- 1713: Old State House is built
- 1770: The Boston Massacre occurs outside the building
- 1776:The Declaration of Independence is read from the balcony
- 1780–1798: It becomes the first Massachusetts State House
- 1798–1881: A bunch of other stuff happens
- 1881: The Bostonian Society is founded to preserve the building
Boston's Freedom Trail
The Old State House occupies a spot along Boston's Freedom Trail: Two-and-a-half miles dotted with 16 different historical sites. Follow the brick-lined path to other destinations, such as the USS Constitution in the Boston Navy Yard.
94% of 173 customers recommend
206 Washington St.
Boston, MA 02109