What You'll Get
- Two-night stay for up to four in a standard room
- Free upgrade when available from village view to golf-course view
- Two one-hour massages or two 18-hole rounds of golf, or one massage and one round of golf<p>
Spa and Award-Winning Golf Amid Cascade Mountain Range
Ponderosa pine and white-fir trees tower like statues along sweeping stretches of natural forest as elk and bobcats stalk beneath boughs. The Cascade Mountain range lords over this natural kingdom, and reverence for the surrounding splendor is a recurring theme at the Running Y Ranch: its golf course—designed by Arnold Palmer and picked by Golf Digest as a top course for women—comes scattered with ponds, evergreens, and sandy pockets and features stunning vistas. Nearby, the on-site Sandhill Spa similarly harnesses earthly elements, from river stones to floral aromatics, to soothe and subdue strain.
Rising above the valley of Payne Canyon, the resort’s timber-framed lodge welcomes sojourners into common areas arrayed with flagstone floors and leather furnishings. Within standard rooms, rustic wood furnishings flirt with lilac and peach bed dressings. Should lodgers upgrade to a golf-course view (free, based on availability), they’ll be able gaze out at the fairways to map out their swing trajectory and the site of their morning cartwheels as smoky blue slopes jut into the horizon.
Elsewhere, the forest borders a view of the resort’s town center, an alpine hamlet in miniature, complete with a market to help stock in-room mini fridges. Ranch Espresso perks up tired taste buds with locally roasted Mellelo coffee, and Wyatt’s American Eatery unites local produce with house-cured bacon, homemade breads, soups, and sauces. Rounding out the resort’s map is the fitness center, where swimmers splash in the pool and wading pool or marinate in the hot tub.
Klamath Falls: Forested Splendor and Avian Paradise
Tucked away near the Northern California border, the city of Klamath Falls rests as the centerpiece civilization amid vast woodlands, including Umpqua, Fremont-Winema, Shasta-Trinity, and Klamath National Forests. The Cascade Mountain Range to the west melds with lava formations, lakes, and evergreens, and its photogenic landscape drew in noted naturalists John Muir and Teddy Roosevelt in the early 1900s. A drive along the Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway traces tectonic activity and unparalleled spectacle around Upper Klamath Lake, a popular layover for birds on the major migratory route of the Pacific Flyway. About a million ducks and geese flock to draw arrows and search algorithms across the sky every fall, and winter brings bald eagles home to roost in the basin’s wetlands.
Recommendations for Your Getaway
- Bill Collier Community Ice Arena<p> Starting November 4, this massive, fabric-covered skating rink mere steps from Running Y Ranch hosts open skating as well as drop-in hockey and curling, with skate rentals and lessons available.
- Crater Lake National Park<p> Formed from a caldera, or a collapsed volcano, this enormous mountaintop lake cradles swimmers and boaters in summer and draws on a snowy cloak for snowshoeing and snowmobiling in winter.
- Lava Beds National Monument<p> In neighboring northern California, an ancient shield volcano has helped form labyrinths of lava-tube caves dripping with lavacicles and ragged with basaltic formations.
- Roe Outfitters<p> Experienced guides lead year-round adventures through the Klamath River Basin, from fly-fishing and lake cruises to snowshoe treks and bird watching.
- Klamath Marsh National Wildlife Refuge<p> Migrating wood ducks and mallards nest among more than 40,000 marshy acres as sandhill cranes, peregrine falcons, and great gray owls flutter nearby.
- Steen Sports Park<p> Five soccer fields and 12 baseball fields join an undulating concrete skate park at this sports center, with picnic tables and hiking trails nearby.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Jan 1, 2012. Amount paid never expires. Must complete travel by 12/31/11. Limit 1 per person, may buy 1 additional as a gift. Limit 1 per visit. 3-day cancellation notice or fee up to price of Groupon may apply. Not valid with reward points. Subject to availability. Complimentary golf room view upgrade upon check-in based on availability. Valid only for double queen or single king room. 4% per night resort fee and 8% occupancy tax not included. Must be 18 or older to check in. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.