Creating a meal from scratch is both challenging and delicious, much like playing “Stairway to Heaven” on a clarinet made out of a candy cane. Master meal melding with today’s Groupon to Sabor Express New Mexican Eatery in Virginia Beach. Choose from the following options:
- For $60, you get a 90-minute New Mexican and Native American cooking class for two (a $140 value).
- For $35, you get a 90-minute New Mexican and Native American cooking class for one (a $70 value).
- For $6, you get $12 worth of anything on the menu for dine-in or carryout.
Cooking classes are scheduled by appointment on Saturdays and Sundays, and include:
* A brief history of New Mexican cuisine
* In-house meal prepared by guests
* Traditional and seasonal drink
* A take-home meal to practice new skills
* Gifts given in the Native American tradition
Sabor Express New Mexican Eatery introduces patrons to the rich cultural and culinary traditions of the American Southwest with hands-on classes and a menu of homemade eats derived from traditional recipes. One or two people learn about the history of New Mexican cuisine, Native American gift-giving traditions, and how extraterrestrial recipes influenced Roswell’s dining scene during cooking classes that include a fresh, seasonal drink such as aguas frescas or cafe de olla. Guests prepare and munch on a meal at the restaurant and leave with another meal ready for at-home preparation.
In addition to leading hands-on classes, Sabor Express’ chefs incorporate heirloom Spanish chiles from Chimayo into dishes such as a half-pound steak burrito in a hand-rolled tortilla with homemade queso ($5.99) or specialties such as green chile chicken stew ($3.99). An Indian taco ($5.59) transports taste buds to the Four Corners, while bright blue, green, and pink floor-to-ceiling murals swathe eyes with more color than sunglasses made of old kaleidoscopes.
Listed menu prices and items are subject to change.