All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
What You'll Get
Jump to: Reviews | Do the Benny Driscoll!
Get footloose and shimmyish to free the harem girl you've kept sequestered in your sequester-chamber. Today's Groupon gets you an introductory four-class course to belly dance basics at Saffron Dance for $39 (an $80 value, new students only). Plus, you'll get your own sensuous hip scarf to accentuate your percussive drops and shimmies (think of it like a graduation cap, except very slightly sexier). This is the perfect crash course for anyone looking to work out, have fun, and celebrate the power of undulation. Note: Courses start on Sunday, October 18, and run for four weeks.
Saphira and her team of talented teachers will be inspirational guides on your journey to discovering belly dance and vintage Spider-Man comics. Your teachers will make the fundamentals easy to follow for any skill level, and each class will build on the moves from the last. Because everyone in class starts from scratch, you'll feel totally comfortable as you learn snakey arm movements, shimmies, hip accents, traveling steps, and combinations. Though the idea of wiggling your beautiful body may seem easy, the secret to belly dance, as with blind archery and turtle care, is precision and control. As you learn the fundamentals, you'll utilize and isolate underused muscles, making you feel healthy and energized.
Your new belly dance skills add a level of believability to your Shakira costume. Bring a friend, make some new friends, and get a sparkly new fashion accessory. Classes start on Sunday, October 18, and are offered on Tuesdays at 6:15 p.m., Wednesdays at 7:15 p.m., Saturdays at 10:30 a.m., and Sundays at 11 a.m. All classes are held at Saffron's Arlington studio. (You must take classes on the same day over the four-week course.)
Saffron Dance Company and owner and teacher Saphira garnered three nominations in the Metro DC Dance Awards, including Emerging Performer or Group. Saphira was featured on NPR's Tell Me More and in the Washington Post:
- ...the room fills with the sound of coins and spangles jangling like jingle bells...students take a stab at it...put at ease by Saphira's disarming teaching style. She injects into her instructions warm laughter... – Christina Ianzito, Washington Post
Though most of Saffron's students don't stop shimmying long enough to write online reviews, one Yelper gives it four stars:
- At Saffron, each class builds on the next and every few weeks you review...Some places you learn technique and drill it and go home. We end each class doing a mini-choreography. – Andrea D., Yelp
Do the Benny Driscoll!
Belly dancing is an ancient art with unique, and often sensuous, movements. Not so for Benny Dancing, the brief ’90s dance craze invented by bulk linoleum sales associate and frequent sporting-event attendee Benny Driscoll. The steps are as follows:
- Clap your hands! Stomp your feet!
- Put school on hold for a while to take care of some things!
- Now get your head into a better place, man. Life is about the journey, not the destination. Check out Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance from library.
- Pay library fees. Buy motorcycle.
- Use new motorcycle to impress Shelly at Tastee-Stick.
- Sell motorcycle to help Shelly pay for her mom’s foot doctor trip.
- Now clap your hands! (repeat)
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Nov 15, 2009. Amount paid never expires. New students only. Must reserve spot in class, subject to availability. Includes 4 belly dance classes. Classes begin 10/18/09. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.