What You'll Get
Art is in the eye of the beholder, whereas swollen retinas are in the eye of the bee holder. Get soul-stung by provocative and powerful art with today's Groupon: for $35, you get a one-year dual/family membership to the San Jose Museum of Art (a $75 value). Memberships must be activated within three months.
The dual/family membership includes two membership cards that grant admission for each cardholder and a guest and any children age 17 and under. Visiting the San Jose Museum of Art is like sitting atop a fragile dunk tank: the first time is an exhilarating rush, but one cannot truly appreciate the entire experience without doing it at least 36 more times. In addition to unlimited entry, members receive a bevy of benefits. Perks include invitations to member-only events, reciprocal privileges at 20 West Coast museums, and a variety of discounts on programs and purchases.
The museum showcases a permanent collection of more than 1,400 pieces of contemporary artwork from the 20th and 21st centuries, focusing on West Coast art blended with technology. Photography, painting, macaroni-shell masterpieces, and installations are some of the many outlets for expression featured inside the halls and walls at SJMA. Exhibits currently on view feature artistic all-stars such as Leo Villareal, a pioneer of using LED lighting to create computer-driven imagery who is also known for his architectural works and light sculptures. The current Retro-Tech exhibit is a visually appealing display of repurposed and manipulated technology, resulting in the creation of original and abstract artwork. Check out the museum’s website for a comprehensive look at past and upcoming features.
This Groupon cannot be redeemed until September 14, 2010.
- This contemporary art museum features revolving exhibitions of post-1980 works plus older 20th-century art from the permanent collection. The Historic Wing includes a cafe, bookstore, and education center. – Frommer's
- What an awesome little museum! It's super intimate, and I feel like I'm not pressured by crowds of people. There's a lot of interactive things to do, as I saw an area where everyone was painting! The building looks big, but inside you see a lot of little galleries. – Art C., Yelp
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Dec 14, 2010. Amount paid never expires. Must activate by expiration date; membership valid for 1 year from activation. Current members may use toward extension. Not valid with other offers. Non-transferable. Redeem starting 9/14. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About San Jose Museum of Art
Since 1969, the San Jose Museum of Art has acquired works that define the art of the time. Over the decades, that has included abstract paintings from the mid-20th century, sculptures from Bay Area artists, and new media works that echo the rise of Silicon Valley. Many have been drawn to the museum's artistic cause; in fact, more than 95% of the permanent collection has come from donations.
- Inside the Rotating Collection: Exhibitions include the immersive video and light installation Beta Space: Diana Thater (through September 13) and Covert Operations: Investigating the Known Unknowns (opens August 29), in which 13 international artists explore issues of surveillance and privacy in a post-9/11 world.
- Hands-On Activities: Visitor photography encouraged; free Art Packs filled with gallery activities; sketching and poem-writing activities
- The Building: a 19th-century library with a new wing added in 1991 to accommodate the growing collection
- Pro Tip: the museum stays open late (until 8 p.m.) on the third Thursday of every month
- Special Programs: free guided tours, artist interviews, and a kids' art camp