All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
What You'll Get
Without frequent exposure to art, viewers may struggle to discern whether they’re looking at a modern masterpiece or out a heavily smudged window. Start your eye-training with today’s Groupon: for $45, you get a one-year membership package at the San Jose Museum of Art (a $114.95 value). The package includes:
- A one-year dual/family membership (a $75 value), which includes:
- Two membership cards that grant free admission for cardholder and one guest
- Free admission for children aged 17 and under
- Invitations to exhibition receptions and members-only events
- Discounted tickets for programs and lectures
- SJMA e-News subscription and e-updates
- 10% discount at the SJMA Store and Café Too!
- Reciprocal membership at 20 West Coast museums
- Discount and priority enrollment for Kids Summer Art Camp
- An exhibition catalog (a $39.95 value)<p>
The San Jose Museum of Art displays a permanent collection of a variety of artworks from the 20th and 21st centuries as well as temporary exhibitions. Gain inspiration by stopping in at a current exhibition such as Book-ish (running through January 15, 2012), an eclectic exploration of the book’s influence on visual artists. Children and families will delight in museum programs for all ages, such as The Koret Gallery’s multisensory activities and displays from the permanent collection linked by theme and flavor. Other happenings around the exam include creative classes, gallery talks, and community days. Check the calendar for upcoming events.
Today’s deal also nets Groupon holders the Catherine Wagner: Cross Sections catalog highlighting the exhibition of the same name that ran at the museum from November 3, 2001, to January 20, 2002. Throughout its 112 pages, authors Cornelia Butler, Glen Helfand & F. David Peat illustrate how Ms. Wagner’s magnetic resonance imaging photography is, like rearranging the table of elements, a compelling blend of art and science.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Apr 1, 2012. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per person, may buy 2 additional as gifts. Must activate by 3/31/12, membership expires 1 year from activation date. Valid for extension of current membership. May redeem across visits. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About San Jose Museum of Art
Since 1969, the San Jose Museum of Art has acquired works that define the art of the time. Over the decades, that has included abstract paintings from the mid-20th century, sculptures from Bay Area artists, and new media works that echo the rise of Silicon Valley. Many have been drawn to the museum's artistic cause; in fact, more than 95% of the permanent collection has come from donations.
- Inside the Rotating Collection: Exhibitions include the immersive video and light installation Beta Space: Diana Thater (through September 13) and Covert Operations: Investigating the Known Unknowns (opens August 29), in which 13 international artists explore issues of surveillance and privacy in a post-9/11 world.
- Hands-On Activities: Visitor photography encouraged; free Art Packs filled with gallery activities; sketching and poem-writing activities
- The Building: a 19th-century library with a new wing added in 1991 to accommodate the growing collection
- Pro Tip: the museum stays open late (until 8 p.m.) on the third Thursday of every month
- Special Programs: free guided tours, artist interviews, and a kids' art camp