While many seasonal legends are retold each year, some—like The Smelliest Stocking, Journey to the Center of Christmas, and Santa's IRS Adventure—have fallen by the wayside. Catch a classic Christmas tale with today's Groupon: for $12, today's Groupon gets you one ticket to The Nutcracker by the Santa Clara Ballet Company at the Santa Clara Convention Center ($30 value). Choose from four performances:
- Saturday, December 11, 2010, at 2 p.m.
- Saturday, December 11, 2010, at 7 p.m.
- Sunday, December 12, 2010, at 1 p.m.
- Sunday, December 12, 2010, at 5 p.m.
The Santa Clara Ballet Company enlivens the holiday season with its annual production of the family classic The Nutcracker, now in its 37th year. This traditional production invites children and adults into Clara's escapade with gingerbread soldiers, the Mouse King, unionized sugarplum fairies, and a fructose-powered federation of candy-coated countries. The production promotes the organized distribution of holiday cheer with a gift boutique, raffle, and concessions. Parking is free at the Santa Clara Convention Center.
Metroactive readers voted the Santa Clara Ballet Company one of Silicon Valley's Best Dance Companies in 2010. The Santa Clara Weekly previewed the company's The Nutcracker performance in a feature on the Santa Clara Ballet and its founder, Josefa Villanueva Reyes.
- One of the things that makes Santa Clara Ballet’s Nutcracker truly a family affair is the number of entire families taking part in the production. Especially this year, when three generations of Villanueva Reyes’ own family were in the show. Villanueva Reyes played the Mother, her son Andre Reyes played the cavalier, and her grand-daughter Rowan Reyes played Clara. – Carolyn Schuk, Santa Clara Weekly