Knowledge is power, which is why locomotives run on burning encyclopedias. Chug toward new understandings with today’s Groupon.
Choose from Three Options
$75 for a poultry-butchering class (a $150 value)
- 7 p.m.–9:30 p.m.
- Students learn the full butcher-and-buying process of working with whole birds.
- Students take home two chicken breasts, two boneless thighs, and a litre of fresh stock.
- Choose from one of these dates: December 4, 16; January 10, 12, 20, 26, 31; February 3, 6, 13<p>
$95 for a meat-curing class (a $195 value)
- 6:30 p.m.–9:30 p.m.
- Students learn the processes of curing, drying, and aging sausage.
- Students take home one duck-breast prosciutto, one link pepperoni, and one handmade salami.
- Choose from one of these dates: Dec 6, 13, 19; January 8, 17, 23, 29; Feburary 1, 7, 12.<p>
$85 for a canning-and-preserving class (a $170 value)
- 6:30 p.m.–9:30 p.m.
- Students learn essential techniques for home water-bath canning, such as sterilization and balancing pH in recipes
- Students will create two seasonal recipes. Past recipes have included lavender-blueberry jam, spicy organic dill pickles, strawberry applesauce, and spiced pickled beets.
- Students take home a jar of each creation.
- Choose from one of these dates: December 8, 11, 18; January 6, 15, 27; February 5, 10.<p>
Save On Meats
Touting accolades from Vancouver Magazine and the Vancouver Courier, Save On Meats sates appetites with a butcher shop and grocery, all-day diner, and traditional sandwich counter. A weathered fluorescent sign, painted blue and adorned with the shop's signature flying pig, welcomes patrons as they step into an eatery infused with a retro '50s atmosphere but free from con artists claiming to be Lucille Ball’s dentist. Chefs pile plates with hearty diner fare ranging from all-day breakfast platters and simple sandwiches to ribs, meatloaf, and pot pies. Kitchen scholars helm cooking classes focused on grassroots food preparation and tactical food-fight strategies in butchering and canning. Colourful apparel and wares such as T-shirts and coffee mugs let visitors display their loyalty.
What some people are buzzing about:
88% of 224 customers recommend
“I enjoyed the class, and it was a great introduction to an interesting, innovative business.”
“Great diner, great food, fun cooking class. ”
“This was a fabulous experience! The staff were very knowledgeable and had a great outlook on our world and how they want the store to continue moving. I'll be back...”
“This was a fabulous experience! The staff were very knowledgeable and had a great outlook on our world and how they want the store to continue moving. I'll be back as a customer :)”