Dancing is a healthy way to physically connect with someone, preferable to giving them a painful bear hug or sewing your head onto their body. Get cheek-to-cheek with this Groupon.
$24 for One Month of Swing-Dance Lessons ($50 Value)
- Classes start the first Monday of every month and meet weekly
- Beginner classes at 7:30 p.m. and intermediate classes at 8:30 p.m.
- Includes admission to Savoy Mondays, held at Sonny Newman’s Dance Hall every Monday from 9:30 p.m. to midnight
- Taught by national championship dancers Daniel Newsome and Gabriella Cook
- Vintage tunes spun by various DJs<p>
Starting June 3, this Groupon is redeemable at Great Hall at 7200 Woodlawn Avenue NE in Seattle.<p>
Savoy Swing Club
The jazz standard “Flying Home” brought Savoy Swing Club’s founders together in 1993 at a dance camp, after which the group of friends began meeting regularly to keep the choreography fresh in their minds. The troupe’s dedication to the lindy hop and other jazz-era dances gradually blossomed into the club’s current calendar of professionally staffed classes, workshops, and dance events. Classes grouped by skill level progressively transform students with two left feet or three right toes into fleet-footed hoofers, imparting classic moves that help nurture a sense of rhythm and speed. Each week, students of all levels can take part in Savoy Mondays, a decade-long tradition, as DJs and a single trumpeting swan provide background music for dancers to sharpen their moves. And on the first and third Fridays of every month, the basement of the local Bagel Deli becomes the Blues Underground, where a free introductory blues lesson is followed by a late night of dancing.