Preserving food, like preserving a friendship, requires conscientious care, an airtight bond, and a willing tongue to periodically taste test for microbes. Savor sentiment with today’s Groupon: join one of Seattle Can Can’s canning classes, taught at Goods for the Planet. Choose one of the following options:
- For $10, you get an introductory canning class (a $20 value).
- For $10, you get an intermediate canning class (a $20 value).
- For $10, you get a hot sauce brewing and canning class (a $20 value).
Seattle Can Can educates on the art of food preservation through a series of jar-jamming seminars designed to demystify basic canning customs. Learn elementary canning principals and acquire the tools to tackle pickle-preserving projects during a two-hour introductory lecture. Eager canners ready for the next step can enlist in a hands-on intermediate home canning class and select their very own fruits, vegetables, or vintage beanie babies to preserve using the water bath canning method. A homemade hot sauce class teaches pepper-loving pupils how to bottle and brew their own blazing batches.
- As I dipped my own fingers into the world of Ball jars and pectin, though, it didn't feel like jumping into a trend. Canning fruit, at least (which doesn't carry the same botulism risk as low-acid foods), turned out to be as simple as baking bread — which is to say, simple when you know how. It didn't take much more than a recipe, jars and a stovetop. And when I wished for grandmotherly wisdom, my computer proved a good substitute. – Rebekah Denn, Seattle New Times
- This store is AMAZING! They have such a wide variety of products- all of which are eco-friendly. – Jenifer J., Yelp
Seattle Can Can
Seattle Can Can owner and instructor Vic Phelps has put up produce in her kitchens for more than 35 years and happily imparts her tricks and techniques to all levels of curious canners. Vic reaches into her deep knowledge of equipment, canning physics, and the favorite Frank Sinatra songs of strawberries to teach classes on pickling, jams, and all-purpose canning for novice or experienced produce preservers.