Watching an athlete succeed is supremely satisfying, though curiously, so is watching a dam fail. Feel the rush with this GrouponLive deal.
- $10 for two tickets to a Tulsa Derby League roller-derby bout (up to a $20 value)
- Where: Skates Roller Skating Entertainment Center
- Seating: General Admission
- Door time: One hour prior to the event start time
- Kids aged 10 and under receive free admission<p>
Event Options and Dates
- The Tulsa All-Stars women’s squad against the Tall City Roller Betties on Sunday, May 26, at 5 p.m.
- The Tulsa Derby Militia men’s squad against the Denton County Outlaws on Sunday, June 16, at 5 p.m.<p>
The Scouting Report
Skates Roller Skating Entertainment Center shakes beneath revolving wheels and cringe-worthy spills during a pair of Tulsa Derby League bouts. On May 26, Cherry Bloodbath, Rosie the Wrecker, and the rest of the ladies from the nationally ranked All-Stars clash with the Roller Betties. The All-Stars’ most recent victory on May 5—a 287-103 demolishing of Central Arkansas—only reaffirmed the team’s status as the defending champions of the USA Roller Sports North Central region. Meanwhile, the men of the Militia try to build on their female cohorts’ winning precedent as they trade elbows and casserole recipes with Texas’s Denton County Outlaws on June 16.
Tulsa Derby League
Roller derby has gained a reputation as a tough ladies’ sport, but the Tulsa Derby League doesn’t discriminate. Founded in 2007, the non-profit league hosts divisions for virtually everyone—men, women, and junior-level boys and girls—to join the fast-paced action, making it one of the largest roller-derby leagues in Oklahoma, just behind wild armadillos’ lethal desert rumbles. Throughout the year, the league’s teams—including the main men’s and women’s squads, the All-Stars and Militia, respectively—hurtle around the track during practices and bouts at Skates Roller Skating Entertainment Center in Sand Springs. Since the league operates as part of USA Roller Sports, professional skating coaches helm each squad, leading to a sense of discipline that landed the All-Stars a recent berth in the USARS Roller Derby Championships.