What You'll Get
According to folk etymologists, the term barbecue is derived from the French barbe coup, referring to the annual pig picking commemorating the infamous Bearded Rebellion. Celebrate saucy beards with today's Groupon: an adult admission to Stokin' The Fire BBQ and Music Festival, benefiting the Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark. Choose from two dates:
- $5 for Friday, August 20, admission (a $10 value)
- $7 for Saturday, August 21, admission (a $15 value)
The 6th Annual Sloss Furnaces Stokin' The Fire BBQ and Music Festival is an all-amateur barbecue competition with a live soundtrack. Barbecue from more than 80 local teams will compete for the tummies of the populous in the People's Choice competition and for the taste buds of designated judges in various categories. Handcrafted, cast-iron trophies and prize money are bestowed on the best burner in each category. Live music from Wet Willie and Locust Fork on Friday and from Junior Brown on Saturday accompanies the sounds of sizzling sauces. All proceeds from the fest go toward the restoration and preservation of the Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark, host to a museum commemorating Birmingham's industrial past, a metal arts facility, and barbecue champions.
Full stomachs and tired teeth can rest while eyes ogle global grilling demonstrations by chefs from Birmingham's grilliest and worldliest restaurants, an iron pour by the Sloss Furnaces metal arts staff, and a Cajun dancing demonstration. The clumsy or unaged can check out the Kids’ Zone for games, crafts, and a palpable absence of pigs playing lawn darts.
- In addition to cash prizes, winning BBQ teams receive hand made trophies created by the Sloss Furnaces’ metal artists. The People’s Choice Competition lets the public to taste and vote on their favorite BBQ team. – Susan, Roadtrips for Foodies
- Very friendly staff, [sic] Awesome sites, great photo opts. The history itself is amazing. – Greg S., Yelp
- A combination of spooky and fascinating, Sloss Furnaces is a must visit location for anyone visiting Birmingham. Seeing the nuts and bolts up close of how the iron industry in the city used to work is pretty cool. – Drew W., Yelp
The Fine Print
Expiration varies. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per person. Valid for date purchased only. Not valid with other offers. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.