After classroom lessons and two days of pool dives, students embark on open-water excursions to earn their SSI scuba certification
Groupon Customer Reviews
About This Deal
- What's included:
- Choice of Rohnert Park or Napa Locations (See website for schedules)
- Mandatory 90 minute orientation at Rohnert Park location during store hours at least one week before pool/class weekend
- Two classroom/pool sessions of approximately 8 hours on a Saturday and Sunday. Sessions will run between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Start and Ending times will vary with season
- 4 Ocean Training Dives the following weekend on the North Coast or Monterey, depending on the season.
- SSI (Scuba Schools International) Online Digital Training Course
- Digital e-certificate card and digital logbook (optional plastic card and paper log available)
- Group lessons
- Age restrictions: must be 15 or older
- Must be in good health and know how to swim
- Following orientation, students begin their open-water diver certification course, with classroom lessons in the morning, where they will review the SSI Digital on-line training course material they have learned. After lunch, students adapt to their equipment and underwater maneuvers during pool sessions, clad in school-provided scuba gear. They meet the following weekend to earn their certification with ocean dives, which will take place in Monterey or on the North Coast. (Students need to arrange their own transportation.)
- All participants must provide or purchase their own scuba quality mask, fins, snorkel, boots, and gloves; students receive a 10% discount for dive-shop purchases. Although not recommended, personal equipment may be rented for an additional charge for both pool and ocean dives.
- For the open-water dives on the second weekend, scuba equipment rental is an additional $129.00, or students may provide or purchase their own gear.
- Rental equipment must be returned to the Rohnert Park location following the ocean dives.
- View a class schedule.
- Student owned equipment must have service records showing service within the past year.
About Sonoma Coast Divers
After leading expeditions in search of underwater treasure, the instructors of Sonoma Coast Divers show their students how to cook and eat the spoils—abalone. They try to conclude each of their abalone diving classes with a group picnic, where everyone can compare their catch in hopes of snagging a record-size shell. Persistent hunters can even compete in the autumn's abalone cook-off, part of a Halloween celebration that includes subaquatic pumpkin carving.
These special events highlight the dive venue's dual emphasis on community and adventure. Whether they are hosting a scuba certification class, a Stress & Rescue course, or a simple air-fill service, the staff freely shares their passion for oceanic exploration. Their training pathways safely transform patrons from first-time pool divers into instructor-level dive masters. By filling their curriculum with specialty courses—such as night diving, wreck diving, and bubble collecting—they inspire guests to pursue different disciplines. They also plan several trips for all skill levels, guiding tours through local kelp forests and planning weeklong retreats to Caribbean islands.