What You'll Get
|_Jump to: Reviews||Careers Halpin’s Grandfather Considered Before Becoming a Cajun Faith-Healer_|
Breathe easy like you’re in the Big Easy with today’s Groupon: three services at Soothe Your Senses Day Spa in Edgewater. Wrought-iron balconies, exposed brick, and a waiting area that looks like a New Orleans courtyard garden make for enduring southern comfort in this Bayou-inspired spa. Owner Gretchen Halpin’s grandfather was a trained traiteur, or Cajun faith-healer, who dished out healing salves and potions made from bayou roots and leaves. Halpin inherited his cherished secrets and decided to sell them by starting a spa and purchasing a Monarch 1131.
Soothe Your Senses uses age-old plant poultice recipes to work modern marvels on aching backs, tired feet, and skin ailments. The results are special, such as Louisiana cane sugar foot scrub and healing treatments that combine aspects of Old World charm with contemporary healing.
Soothe Your Senses excels at so many unique spa services, we couldn’t just offer one with today’s Groupon. Instead, this Groupon will get you any three of the six hour-long services listed below:
- Therapeutic Massage: Releases the chronic patterns of tension in the body through slow strokes and deep pressure on the contracted areas, either following or going across the grain of muscles, tendons, and fascia. Focuses on the deeper layers of muscle tissue.
- Acupuncture: A traditional Chinese medicine method of encouraging the body to promote natural healing and to improve functioning. Helps encourage healing in digestive disorders, respiratory disorders, sinusitis, neurological and muscular disorders, headaches, back pain, urinary, menstrual, reproductive issues, and extra-limb. Soothe Your Senses’ licensed acupuncturist holds a masters of science in traditional oriental medicine.
- Euro Facials: This classic facial treatment detoxifies, tones, and revitalizes tired, stressed skin. It includes cleansing, toning, removing dead skin cells, and moisturizing.
- Chakra Balancing: Chakras—centers of activity that receive, assimilate, and express energy—are thought to be responsible for physical, mental, and spiritual functions. This treatment balances chakra energy to make it flow harmoniously.
- Reflexology: Based on the existence of reflective points in the soles, in the palms, on the ears, energy zones run throughout the body and correspond to all the major organs, glands, and body parts. Stimulating these points with natural hand and special pressures releases the therapeutic forces of body, thus achieving relaxation, balance, and health.
- CranioSacral Therapy: A gentle, hands-on method of evaluating and enhancing the functioning of the craniosacral system (the membranes and cerebrospinal fluid that surround and protect the brain and spinal cord). Improves the functioning of the central nervous system.
The spa soothed the sense of reviewers on Citysearch and InsiderPages, who gave it perfect five-star ratings. Yelpers gave it an average of 3.5. > * When you walk in you are transformed to New Orleans’ French Quarter. The owner and family are steeped in old world remedies you are sure to find something that you love and need…Oh, and their facials are to die for!!! – Sarah G., InsiderPages > * What a great gem hidden outside the city. The warm and friendly enviroment [sic] and staff make any service you have there so relaxing. I can’t believe I didn’t find this sooner. I’m letting the cat out of the bag. YOU HAVE TO GO! – dpearse, Citysearch > * This is an oasis in Edgewater. With its exposed brick and hardwood floors, it has an urban earthy aesthetic. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. There are a variety of treatments, from basic skin care to more esoteric wraps and baths, even chakra balancing. – Amy M., Yelp
Careers Halpin's Grandfather Considered Before Becoming a Cajun Faith-Healer
Before finding an appropriate use for his balms and salves as a trained traiteur, Halpin’s grandfather considered many alternate careers:
- Bagger at grocery store
- Bagger at toy store
- Bagger at pet store
- Bagger at car dealership
- Bagger at Fuddruckers
- Bagger at Microsoft
- Bagger at ExxonMobil
- Bagger at Chevron
- President of ConocoPhillips
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Jan 1, 2011. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per person. May purchase 2 additional as gifts. Must call to schedule. May spread out services over multiple visits. Must cancel with 24-hour notice or service forfeited Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About Soothe Your Senses Day Spa
The aestheticians at Soothe Your Senses Day Spa draw inspiration from two generations of Creole healing when doling out spa treatments infused with aromatherapy and healing herbs. Services catered toward men and women help banish impurities in muscles, pores, and spirit animals with Eastern healing traditions such as reiki massage and energy therapy. Three levels of spa membership offer discounts on services and workshops, and spa packages pamper clients with half- or full-day programs of massages, nailcare, and facials.