Theater surrounds the raw immediacy of human passion in a world of make-believe, much like getting into a fistfight with Goofy at Disney World. Experience that blend of artifice and emotion with today's Groupon: for $17, you get one ticket to a theater production (a $35 value) at St. Ann's Warehouse in Brooklyn. With your Groupon you'll be able to choose from select showings (see sidebar) of three productions:
- Penelope, by Ireland's Druid Theatre Company
- The Red Shoes, by Kneehigh Theatre
- The Interminable Suicide of Gregory Church, written and performed by Daniel Kitson
For more than 30 years, St. Ann's Warehouse has presented an eclectic body of innovative theatre and concert presentations, and since 2000 the organization has brought its industrial setting to life from a converted spice-milling factory in DUMBO. The Druid's Penelope—the Fringe First Award winner at the 2010 Edinburgh Festival—presents a loose adaptation of the final chapter of The Odyssey as four men vie for an impossible love and face the inevitability of death at the bottom of a drained swimming pool. Kneehigh Theatre's The Red Shoes (adapted from the fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen) tells the macabre tale of a girl possessed by a pair of magically dancing shoes that refuse to come off. Kneehigh Theatre's sensuous, surreal interpretation includes dark cabaret and a bit of blood, and is recommended for adults, children 8 years and up, and only the steeliest of teddy bears. In The Interminable Suicide of Gregory Church, storyteller Daniel Kitson portrays a man who must delay his suicide in order to write 57 suicide letters, essentially postponing death with life.
A slew of parking options, some discounted for theater patrons, and a variety of restaurants spanning a broad price range help facilitate a full night on the town. Rice Bar, the official restaurant of St. Ann’s, exists in the theater lobby and purveys wine and microbrews plus light bites such as dim sum, tamales, maki, and invisible sandwiches that can only be tasted by cool people. Cut yourself on the sharp edge of new theater with today's Groupon to St. Ann's Warehouse.
- The adventurous theatergoer’s alternative to BAM, St. Ann’s Warehouse offers an eclectic lineup of theater and music. – Time Out New York
- Great venue in a really charming area (DUMBO). Saw "Young @ Heart" preform [sic] here, and the space was perfect. I think the warehouse style helps keeps costs relatively lower than it could be in such a desirable location. – Christina F., Yelp