What You'll Get
Seeing live music can be a transcendent mind-body experience, akin to getting a tattoo underwater or making out during an eclipse. Transcend boredom with today's Groupon: for $35, you get two section A tickets to the Ying String Quartet's performance at the St. Cecilia Music Center, on Thursday, March 17 at 7:30 p.m. (a $70 value). All tickets include admission to a meet-the-artist reception after the concert.
The Ying String Quartet has animated legendary masterpieces at esteemed venues including the White House, the Sydney Opera House, and Carnegie Hall, and was nominated for a 2010 Grammy Award. Enter the St. Cecilia Music Center's historical Royce Auditorium for a program of string-suspended life forms beginning with Anton Arensky's kinetic Quartet No. 2 in A Minor. Samuel Barber's spirited String Quartet follows, with sweeping melodies dramatic enough to whisk any dulcet diva off her precariously balanced feet. The evening comes to a close with a playful four-movement piece by Beethoven. After the final note, mingle with quartet members to gain first-hand string-tickling insight.
St. Cecilia Music Center is housed in an Italian Renaissance-style building that opened to the public in 1894. The brick edifice continues to serve its original purpose as an oasis for the musical arts, sheltering instruments from aerial songbird sabotage.
- Sweet sounds are simply music and the Ying String Quartet emotes music that simply gives us freedom of thought. – LeRoy Downs, The Jazzcat
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Mar 17, 2011. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per person, may buy 1 additional as gift. Limit 1 per visit. Subject to availability. Not valid for resale. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About St. Cecilia Music Center
Named after the patron saint of music, St. Cecilia Music Center is considered to be the “mother of the arts” in Grand Rapids. After all, it’s not just a fixture; it’s the establishment that started it all. Area women formed the center in 1883, performing in each other's homes until a steadily growing audience forced them to find bigger and bigger temporary residences. By 1894, they had a permanent headquarters in their very own building. The 650-seat auditorium, twinkling chandeliers, and reception room—anchored by arched windows—quickly attracted world-renowned musicians to the city to play for larger audiences. Today, the center continues to bring high-quality programs to its confines and even houses a School of Music, where young minds can grow to be great musicians.