Today’s Groupon proves it doesn’t take David Bowie makeup and fabrics harvested from Big Bird to successfully pull off that designer look. For $50, you get $100 to spend on designer clothing and more at Stil in The Mall at Chestnut Hil. This one-of-a-kind boutique has been featured in Boston magazine’s Best of Boston in 2006, 2007, 2008, and, most recently, Best Clothing Boutique in 2009. Your Groupon is good toward anything in the store except jewelry.
Stil carries mostly Scandinavian-inspired fashion. Impress your friends by telling them that Stil (pronounced “steel”) actually means “style” in Scandanavian. Owner Betty Riaz has a seasoned eye for picking out the right designs. She visits New York and Europe many times a year to scour their scenes searching for new additions to her already impressive lineup, which includes smart and stylish brands such as Poleci, Rutzou, and Paul Smith. The handpicked array of established and up-and-coming designers is what separates the shop from larger department stores. Prices for apparel hover around the $100 mark for shirts, but can reach $1,000 or more for big-ticket items, such as coats or the most crisply satisfying high-five you will ever receive.
In spite of the mall setting, Stil manages to keep a boutique feel. It features a stylish interior, custom furniture, and an in-store cappuccino machine. Bring a group of gals for an impromptu fashion show in the store’s impressive dressing rooms. The oversized fitting rooms are also ideal for thinking of your blog about kittens and soup while doing little turns as if you were on the catwalk.
- While most specialty clothing boutiques are inviting enough, it's increasingly hard to find ones that risk stocking merchandise that is, in fact, special—that is to say, not all over Barneys, Neiman's, and Saks. In the mall but still in the vanguard, Betty Riaz's Stil satisfies fashion individualists with such off-the-grid labels as Copenhagen's Bruuns Bazaar and Munthe Plus Simonsen and mold-breaking looks from otherwise more-mainstream designers. – Boston
Punctually impaired individuals take note: show up at your next event sporting fashions from Stil and your critics will be too blinded by your style to question your previous whereabouts. Here are a few classic excuses you can drop on anyone who has the gall to ask you why you were late:
- I had to wait for a row of baby ducks to finish walking into my mouth.
- Some idiot hit my car with his rib cage.
- My nephew stayed with us over the weekend, and I've been unteaching my parrot swear words.
- I had a falling out with my bugler.
- Linear time is an illusion created by consciousness, which is, in turn, an illusion created by a purely biological mind that evolved to recognize and manufacture patterns in its perceptions as a means to survival. Sorry if that encroaches on your precious book club.
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.