What You'll Get
Choose from Four Options
- $25 for one conventional oil change ($50 value)
- $49 for two conventional oil change ($100 value)
- $45 for one synthetic oil change ($90 value)
- $89 for two synthetic oil change ($180 value)
Horsepower: An Estimate of Engines’ Energy
A fine-tuned engine performs at peak capacity, running smoothly and generating more horsepower. Read on to learn more about horsepower and what it means to work.
An engine that packs a lot of horsepower is an engine that is ready to work. The 18th-century engineer James Watt coined the term to help sell steam engines to mills and mining operations. Watt estimated that an average horse, per minute, could perform 33,000 foot-pounds of work—meaning it could pull 330 pounds a total distance of 100 feet. It was just a rough estimate, but Watt’s calculation has endured as an official unit for measuring engines’ work.
The Benefits of Horsepower
The Model T only had 20 horsepower, but modern cars have left Henry Ford’s creation in the dust. Popular cars, like the Camry or CR-V, house engines that provide 150+ horsepower, an ample amount for running errands and towing kids’ wagons behind them. High-performance luxury cars, meanwhile, boast more than 700 horsepower for more powerful acceleration, and trucks that need to carry heavy loads often fall within the 300–400 range.
- The unit could have just as easily been _pony_power, since Watt originally calculated that an average mine pony could do 22,000 foot-pounds of work. To arrive at horsepower, he simply increased that number by half.
- Watt’s work on work was so influential that a fundamental unit of modern science bears his name.
- Incidentally, the electrical equivalent of one horsepower is 746 watts, or roughly the same energy it takes to totally shred a Van Halen guitar solo.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires 90 days after purchase. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per person, may buy 1 additional as gift. Limit 1 per visit. Must use promotional value in 1 visit. Valid only for option purchased. All goods or services must be used by the same person. May be repurchased every 30 days. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.