What You'll Get
Paddle your way into the briny deep and plant your feet firmly upon many gallons of rushing water with today's deal: $30 gets you a 90-minute group surfing lesson with Surf Diva, a $60 value. Join the Party Wave with other aspiring wave kahunas and learn to paddle, pop up, and ride the surf. It's the perfect opportunity for anyone who's been dying to learn how to surf, but wanted to wait until Groupon San Diego was invented.
In your 90-minute lesson, you'll learn the basics you need to catch waves, including ocean awareness, wave breaks, water safety, wave etiquette, paddling, balance, how to breathe underwater, and pop-up techniques. Moreover, you'll experience the addictive rush of flying over the ocean on the soles of your feet.
Surf Diva was founded by twin sisters Izzy and Coco Tihanyi at a time when surfing was dominated by men and horses. Izzy and Coco started surfing at a young age, and their passion for wave-riding has drawn a slew of women to their then-all-girls school. Surf Diva now boasts 50 instructors and is open to all genders, ages, and ability levels. All of Surf Diva's inspiring instructors are certified in CPR and first aid, so head into the water knowing that you're training under a capable, watchful, human eye.
Your Groupon includes a wetsuit and a surfboard, but bring a bathing suit and a towel. Party Wave co-ed group lessons take place from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. every day at La Jolla Shores.
- two girlfriends came with me to the Surf Diva Surf School weekend beginner's clinic, and it was AMAZING! they make learning to surf fun, safe, and stress-free. – hadashi, TripAdvisor
- I liked the fact that the shop is owned by women and thus, I thought, a little more sympathetic to someone like me who is 39 and out of shape. – Travelisha, TripAdvisor
- We both caught waves on our first attempts and had a wonderful time. We came away wishing we lived near the ocean and could do this sport more. – Family, TripAdvisor
Twins Who Weren’t Horrible
Twin sisters founded Surf Diva, which goes to show that the old wives' tale that all twins are horrible is not true. Here are other famous, non-horrible twins:
- Grover and Rover Cleveland: Like most presidential twins, Rover made a living impersonating his brother at trade shows and regional fairs. His income took a significant hit after Grover died in 1908, and Rover, who is terrifyingly alive, was forced to take a terrible job at an animal shelter.
- Data and Lore: The introduction of Lore finally answered the prayers of people everywhere who thought, Why can't we meet the evil twin of the robot from Star Trek? Unlike the emotionless Data, Lore is unstable and therefore more likely to travel from the fictional world into our own and commit crimes.
- Albert and Ebenezer Fox: Known as The Twin Foxes, these English twins turned to a life of crime despite their respectable upbringing. Unfortunately, their non-identical fingerprints undid them, which is why many of today's top criminals are either non-twins or the fingerless.
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Apr 24, 2010. Amount paid never expires. 1 per person, multiple as gifts. Must schedule class at least 3 days in advance. Not valid with other offers. 4-person minimum class size. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About Surf Diva
When twin sisters Izzy and Coco Tihanyi decided to pursue a career that combined their passion for surfing and their love of the ocean, their calling came in the form of starting Surf Diva. Before long, they were on course to becoming a lauded school for coed surfers in California and Costa Rica. Augmenting the pair's teachings is their team of certified instructors, all graduates of their school's intensive training program and certified in CPR and first aid. Committed to their expertise in surfing, many of the instructors also hold down careers as firefighters, paramedics, and snowboarders, granting them the combined know-how to put out beach bonfires with a casual backflip.
The team's instruction ranges from coed group lessons and competitive coaching sessions to two- or five-day women’s weekend surf clinics. When they're not teaching surfing, crew members commit themselves to alternative teaching programs in yoga and standup paddleboarding, helping surfers to conquer the water with their bodies as well as with their very buoyant hearts. The twins' Costa Rica program also helps women and families hone boarding skills abroad while becoming fully immersed in the Costa Rican culture.