- $98 for a sake and food pairing for dinner for two, valid Sunday–Thursday ($130 value)
Each diner receives the following:
- Glass of Otokoyama premium cold sake
- Premium sushi sampler: one piece of seared bluefin tuna with crispy onion, one piece of amberjack with jalapeño, one piece of lemon salmon, and one piece of seared black cod with sesame sauce
- Glass of Kubota premium cold sake
- Salmon sushi trio: one piece of salmon, one piece of sockeye salmon, and one piece of salmon belly
- Yellowtail sushi trio: one piece of yellowtail, one piece of amberjack, and one piece of yellowtail belly
James Beard Award–winning food critic Brad A. Johnson once wrote that Southern California boasts the best sushi in the country. So his list of the region's best sushi restaurants—which includes Sushi Akatora—could be considered the best of the best. Like many others, the food critic adores Sushi Akatora’s omakase menu. A Japanese tradition wherein guests let the chef prepare a tasting menu of whatever he'd like, omakase here is served at four different prix fixe price points. Although the dining experience focuses on Sushi Akatora's traditional sushi and sashimi, Johnson praised the new-style carpaccio as the thing Sushi Akatora "does better than anyone else." Read on for others’ favorite dishes.
LA Weekly also praised the restaurant’s carpaccio, including the salmon with jalapeño ponzu.
Other LA Magazine suggests guests looking for a unique dining experience “indulge in the barracuda nigiri and a tomahawk steak.”
LAist found the standout dishes to be the yellowtail carpaccio, wagyu beef tataki with wasabi jalapeño salsa, and green-tea pudding.
Zagat named the restaurant one of the "8 Hottest New Japanese Spots in LA."