All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
What You'll Get
Before deciding that fish looked best rolled in seaweed, sushi chefs folded it up in lettuce leaves and dressed it in rice-paper tuxedoes. Set sights on handsome rolls with today’s Groupon: for $69, you get admission, a sushi dinner for two, and $25 in sushi bucks for each person at the Sushi Smackdown (a $154.38 total value). Participants collectively vote for their top sushi restaurant as their choice establishment serves them 18 dishes including appetizers, rolls, sashimi, and dessert. The event will be held from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Choose from the following dates:
- Tuesday, November 8, at Akebono in Granite Bay
- Wednesday, November 9, at Crazy Sushi in Rocklin
- Wednesday, November 9, at Nishiki Sushi in Sacramento
- Wednesday, November 9, at Samurai Sushi in Rancho Cordova
- Tuesday, November 15, at Akebono
- Wednesday, November 16, at Crazy Sushi
- Wednesday, November 16, at Samurai Sushi
- Wednesday, November 16, at Nishiki Sushi
- Tuesday, November 22, at Akebono
- Wednesday, November 23, at Samurai Sushi
- Tuesday, November 29, at Akebono Sushi
- Wednesday, November 30, at Samurai Sushi
- Wednesday, November 30, at Crazy Sushi
- Saturday, December 3, at Crazy Sushi
- Wednesday, December 7, at Crazy Sushi
- Saturday, December 10, at Crazy Sushi</p>
Four top sushi restaurants tussle for flame-free supremacy during The Sushi Smackdown, a pilot production for the forthcoming Sushi and the City television series. Contenders vie for high rankings from diners, whose scores are tabulated at the table at the end of the event. After selecting their preferred sushi-slinger, duos evaluate 18 of the chef’s most impressive creations, including appetizers, sashimi, rolls, desserts, and one specially prepared dish. While eating, diners chat with up to six tablemates about the intricacies of each dish and which roll looks best as a makeshift monocle.
Competitors include Akebono Sushi—whose Japanese delights include gesso deep-fried squid legs and thin-sliced albacore tuna pepper fin crowned with jalapeños atop chili-oil sauce—and Samurai Sushi, known for innovative dishes such as Japanese deep-fried, breaded-chicken catsu. Nishiki Sushi challenges both sight and taste buds with imaginative arrangements and flavors, and Crazy Sushi fights for dominance with a series of tactical roll techniques highly trained oven-wielding saboteurs. Following the smackdown, sushi lovers can return to revisit a favorite dish with $25 worth of sushi bucks. Each person receives a $5 gift certificate to the diner’s choice of five out of the six participating restaurants, including those listed above plus Sushi Mon in Roseville and Miso Sushi in Sacramento.
The Fine Print
Expiration varies. Amount paid never expires. Limit 8 per person, which may be given as gifts. Limit 1 per visit. Valid only for date/location purchased. Not valid for the purchase of alcohol. Dine-in only. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.