All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
· Reviewed January 21, 2017
· Reviewed January 8, 2017
· Reviewed January 7, 2017
What You'll Get
Choose from Four Options
- $50 for screen repair for an iPhone 5, 5c, or 5s with a six-month warranty ($85 value)
- $69 for screen repair for an iPhone 6 with a six-month warranty ($110 value)
- $69 for screen repair for an iPad 2, 3, or 4 with a six-month warranty ($105 value)
- $79 for screen repair for an iPad Air 1 with a six-month warranty ($115 value)
Gorilla Glass: A Screen’s Shining Armor
The glass on a smartphone is engineered to withstand the stresses of your day-to-day life. Read on to learn about the particular brand behind many products—Corning’s Gorilla Glass.
In order for the glass in your smartphone, tablet, or computer to incorporate a touchscreen, it has to be extremely thin. But thin glass doesn’t hold up against the wear and tear of daily use, so manufacturers of these mobile devices started using glass that’s been chemically treated to be both thin and strong. This is the basic concept behind Corning Inc.’s ultra-resilient Gorilla Glass, named after a gorilla’s inherent toughness and beauty.
As with any glass, the process of making Gorilla Glass begins by melting down a mixture of sand and other chemicals in a furnace. After that, however, automated robotic arms form the molten mixture into 0.5-mm-thick sheets, called aluminosilicate because they contain aluminum, silicon, oxygen, and sodium ions. These ultra-thin sheets can’t resist damage quite yet; to become Gorilla Glass, they have to undergo a chemical process called an ion exchange. Each sheet is dipped into a 752-degree Fahrenheit electrolyte solution, which breaks the bonds of all sodium ions and replaces them with larger potassium ions. The larger ions cause the glass to compress, packing larger atoms into the same space to give a boost of strength akin to Popeye’s biceps after a few cans of spinach.
Gorilla Glass is a relatively new product—it’s only been used in mobile devices since 2009—but Corning has been developing the concept for years. The company began experimenting with chemically strengthened glass way back in 1960. Nowadays, Corning is on its third iteration of the product, Gorilla Glass 3, which is said to be up to three times more damage resistant than Gorilla Glass 2. Gorilla Glass in all its iterations can be found in hundreds of devices, including those made by Apple, Dell, and Motorola.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires 120 days after purchase. Amount paid never expires. Appointment required. Limit 1 per person, may buy 1 additional as gift. Limit 1 per visit. Must use promotional value in 1 visit. Valid only for option purchased. All goods or services must be used by the same person. Promotional value expires 120 days after purchase. Amount paid never expires. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About Tech Repair Center
If it has a hard drive or an electronic heart, Tech Repair Center has the smarts and parts to fix it. The talented techs—who have over 30 years of experience with computers—perform a wide range of repairs and upgrades, and accentuate every fix with superior customer service and a 90-day warranty on parts and labor. Here are a few of the specialities:
- Smartphones and Tablets: Cracked screens and water damage are just a few of the common issues the team tackles
- Computers: Tech Repair Center offers a comprehensive system cleanup to obliterate viruses, increase speed and maximize performance for Macs and Windows computers, and even performs motherboard repairs, hard drive and memory upgrades, and data recovery.
- Other Repairs: The team fixes TVs, game consoles such as XBox and Playstation, home and car stereos and amplifiers, mixer boards, and electronic instruments.