What You'll Get
Choose Between Two Options
- $46 for 10 hot yoga classes ($150 value)
- $118 for 2 months of unlimited hot yoga classes ($320 value)
Three Things to Know About Yoga
Few fitness disciplines meld relaxation and strength-building like yoga. Read on to learn about its surprising origins and incredible diversity.
1. In Sanskrit, yoga means “union.” (The word shares a root with the English word “yoke.”) The things being united are the mind, body, and breath, as practitioners use motion to guide the thoughts toward peaceful awareness and away from the funny-looking dog walking past the studio window.
2. Historically, strength and flexibility were probably just side benefits. In fact, some of the first Indian yogis to arrive to the U.S. explicitly rejected asanas, or postures, as a distraction from meditation. Recent research by yogi and scholar Mark Singleton indicates that, starting in the 1920s, a Scandinavian fitness system known as Primitive Gymnastics became wildly popular in India, and began to meld with far older yoga traditions that were more concerned with breath and focus. Around the same time, other teachers in India traveled the country teaching strengthening and combat techniques under the guise of yoga, in the hopes of preparing to rise against British rule. This complex stew of influences eventually produced the blend of movement and meditation most Westerners recognize as yoga today.
3. Today an estimated 20–30 million North Americans practice yoga. What that looks like in practice is wildly diverse—everything from sweaty, tolerance-testing hot yoga to quick-flowing vinyasa yoga to “laughter yoga,” which combines yogic breathing with deliberate laughter to ease stress. One of yoga’s greatest virtues is its adaptability: props make classes accessible to older students, and prenatal classes teach pregnant women poses that take into account their extra-stretchy ligaments and tendency toward lower-back pain.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires 90 days after purchase. Amount paid never expires. Valid only for new students or students who have not been active within the last 24 months. Limit 1 per person, may buy 1 additional as gift. Limit 1 per visit. Valid only for option purchased. All goods or services must be used by the same person. Reservation required. 10 class option must be activated by expiration date on voucher; membership expires 30 days from activation date. 2 month option must be activated by expiration date on voucher; membership expires 60 days from activation date. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About A Chat with Thavma Bikram Yoga
What services does your business offer and what makes your business stand out from the competition?
Our studio is centered around a signature theme of Contemporary décor, with a state of the art temperature control heating system, and beautiful locker rooms with showers. We offer many different options, from warm and Hot Bikram 90 and 60 minute classes, a Hot Hatha flow, core-glut strengthening class called Thavma Mix-up, and Private one on one, and group sessions.
What was the inspiration to start or run this business?
I (Marina Bourantonis) have been doing yoga for 20 years and it helped a myriad of spinal issues I had from car accidents. I wanted to share all the healing magic benefits that I had received from yoga with others.
What do you love most about your job?
I love when my students accomplish their life long goals, either it be Weight loss,fitness or pain relief, that they wanted to acquire in a short time amount of time and get the emotional benefits that come with doing Hot yoga on a regular bases.
What is the best reaction you've ever gotten from a customer?
With tears in their eyes, telling me that 6 months prior they couldn’t walk upright, lived a life full of pain, and now their pain is at the most minimal it could be,and they can once again enjoy a quality of life they had imagined. You can see many of these real life testimonials on our at website www.thavmayoga.com.