Improv comedians are a human breed originally formed from the tears of a vaudevillian and the psychoactive film on a tree frog's back. Breed your own comedy with today's deal: for $4, you will receive a ticket to one comedic performance at the inaugural Big-Little Comedy Fest (an $8 value), held at the Dog Story Theater from Aug. 20–22. Groupon purchasers will also receive 25% off one of the festival's comedy workshops (normally $15 each). Choose from the following improv and sketch comedy shows:
- Friday, August 20, at 8 p.m.: Neighborhood Watch, Weber & Einstein, and BoomerangTango
- Friday, August 20, at 10 p.m.: GOLIATH and Pop Scholars
- Friday, August 20, at 11 p.m.: Never Pickles
- Saturday, August 21, at 8 p.m.: Madame Senator, Boxxo, and The Bird & The Bison
- Saturday, August 21, at 10 p.m.: KUMATE! and Counter-Productive Lover
- Saturday, August 21, at 11 p.m.: Calvin IMPROV reunion, featuring performers from Calvin College's IMPROV Team from the years 2003–2006
- Sunday, August 22, at 8 p.m.: Matt Griffo, FrankenReagan, and Just The Tip
- Sunday, August 22, at 10 p.m.: The Sterenbergs and Business Company
- Sunday, August 22, at 11 p.m.: The BLCF All-Stars' Lottery Armando
Purchase three tickets for consecutive performances, or pick and choose up to three shows to attend in between thumb-wrestling bouts and canine couples' therapy sessions. Featured comedy troupes will converge on Grand Rapids from several corners of this more-or-less perfect union, such as Chicago, Los Angeles, Austin, and South Carolina. Grand Rapids natives, transplants, and transients will also be asked to bring their dynamic brands of improvised funk to the stage. Because some performances may contain mature content and otherwise-missed references to Full House, shows are recommended for ages 15 and up.
While the festival's performers have spent years sewing stitches of laughter into the sides of unsuspecting audience members, the Big-Little Comedy Fest offers amateurs a chance at the needle. With the purchase of each festival ticket, you will be entitled to receive 25% off one of five comedy workshops occurring during the festival (normally $15 each). Workshops will be held at 1 p.m., 3 p.m., and 5 p.m. on Saturday and 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. on Sunday, covering topics such as musical improvisational comedy, the craft-honing curriculum of "staying in the moment," and building character relationships. Each Groupon is valid for a 25% discount; three cannot be combined for a 75% discount. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with "Workshop" in the subject line to sign up for a workshop, and embark on letting laughter loose from mouth-cages with the Big-Little Comedy Fest.
Workshops are based on availability.
1115 Taylor NW
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503Get Directions