Choose from Six Options
- $74 for a Dining in the Dark Portland experience for one on May 21 ($125 value)
- $74 for a Dining in the Dark Portland experience for one on May 22 ($125 value)
- $74 for a Dining in the Dark Portland experience for one on May 23 ($125 value)
- $146 for a Dining in the Dark Portland experience for two on May 21 ($250 value)
- $146 for a Dining in the Dark Portland experience for two on May 22 ($250 value)
- $146 for a Dining in the Dark Portland experience for two on May 23 ($250 value)
The two-hour Dining in the Dark Seattle experience takes place at Alberta Abbey, where guests eat a meal in complete darkness while listening to music by Rosh & One Eye Glass Broken. The meal includes a vegetarian dinner with a glass of wine or other beverage. Additionally, a portion of the proceeds will benefit a local blindness organization.
The Blind Cafe
Before the dinner begins, each diner moves their drink to their left hand and lines up, placing their free hand on the shoulder of the person in front of them. That person could be a loved one or a stranger, but very shortly, trusting them will become important. A host walks the line to make sure everyone is ready, then pulls aside a heavy, canvas curtain flap, revealing a room of pitch darkness. The group of people file in, led by the waitstaff—blind people lending others their expertise at moving sightlessly—who help the group to their tables.
In the absence of sight, other senses take over at the meal; diners focus on the aroma and flavor of the plates of food that come before them. Local chefs craft purely vegetarian meals, forgoing elements of presentation to instead create interesting textures and tastes. As the evening commences, the meal pairs with an original soundtrack composed expressly for the event before turning into a Q&A with the blind waitstaff. The event doesn't just excite senses, but aims to educate visitors about life as a blind person. Yet for all the good it does, the event doesn't stick around forever: as a pop-up based in San Francisco, the organizers bring this experience to cities around the country for special temporary engagements.