What You'll Get
Drinking wine is an activity that sometimes makes people believe they’re funnier, smarter, and two feet taller than they actually are. Today’s Groupon prolongs the non-truths with $35 worth of wine and savories for $15 at The Cask Room. The Cask Room's rotating weekly lineup of small-production wines and craft beers pairs with fresh, seasonal meals—reminding nostalgic diners of a bygone era when food and drink were enjoyed simultaneously.
The Cask Room's vast wine menu rotates each week like a stately Morris dance or a motley safety dance, and might feature the bold tannins of a 2006 Monte da Cal from Alentejano, Portugal ($9 for a glass); a 2007 Rancho Sisquoc River Red fermented and bottled in Santa Barbara, California ($10 a glass); or a 2007 Clautiere Roussanne from the Paso Robles, California ($11 a glass). Passionate wine professionals will guide you through the latest liquid lineup and suggest pairings from a mealtime menu populated by toasted paninis and petite tapas that hearken back to an age when cuisine strived to woo the stomach’s heart without resorting to cyber-stalking. The Sonoma melts together grilled portobello mushrooms with roasted red peppers, goat cheese, roast garlic, thyme, and caramelized onion ($10), while small plates present dishes such as stuffed dates stuffed with goat cheese and baked in a layer of prosciutto ($9) and gorgonzola crostini topped with agave nectar ($8).
Owned and operated by the Kallay family, The Cask Room's stunning wine-lovers’ atmosphere is outfitted with relaxing leather couches and marble countertops that accentuate the spindly grace of a wine-glass stem—providing an elegant escape for wine connoisseurs who appreciate the way the rich maroons contained within each green bottle accentuate the sturdy wooden shelves and aging oaken barrels. One Groupon may be used for every two people, and two Groupons can be combined per table, so treat a quixotic quartet of quirky quaffers to the Cask Room with today's Groupon.
- Stop by the Cask Room any evening after 5 p.m. and you'll note the buzz of animated conversations punctuated with laughter and sprinkled with discussions about just-poured wines, as lively groups gather at the bar or sink into sofas...It's a fairly young crowd, predominantly in their mid-20s to mid-40s, with others fitting easily into the mix. – Nicole Sours Larson, San Diego Downtown News
- If Mike Kallay knew as much about curing cancer as he does about wine, the disease would have been under the bridge about 700 years ago. You should hear him talk about mouthfeel, bouquets, points, the differences between growing seasons in the hemispheres, the number of cases it takes to establish credibility--the man's a total walking grape orchard, and he eagerly notes the gaps in his knowledge amid the constant discoveries in his field. – Martin Jones Westlin, San Diego City Beat
- I wish this was my living room... I love this place - always a great selection of wines and the food is great too. Even beer lovers are happy here with a great selection of interesting beers. – SouthernBelle130, CityVoter
- Incredibly knowledgable [sic] staff!...The stuffed peppers are delightful! And the appetizer trio was amazing!...A great place to meet friends and share wine and good snacks. – Lynne N., Yelp
- The Cask Room carries a very unique selection of wines. The menu is almost exclusively smaller producers, which means you get to taste things that very few people elsewhere will ever experience. – Nicholas M., Yelp
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Sep 13, 2010. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per table of 2, 2 per tables of 4 or more. Must be 21 or over. Not valid with other offers. No cash back. Tax and gratuity not included. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.