What You'll Get
Sooner or later, your girlfriend is going to figure out that all those fancy restaurants are just your bedroom redecorated with a new elaborate disguise each week. Today's Groupon will help you postpone the inevitable by throwing a real fancy restaurant into the mix. For $15, you get $30 worth of fine steakhouse dining and drinks at The Clarmont, located in German Village. Reservations are required.
Founded in 1947 as a poker hall for traveling tycoons, The Clarmont became a steakhouse when it fell out of fashion to use grilled beef slabs as chips. Since then, the Columbus institution has added seafood and fresh fish offerings to its sumptuous menu. The culinary fireworks begin at dinner with the always-goes-fast prime rib of beef ($19.59), seasoned and roasted on-site each day, or The Clarmont's 50-year standby: 12 ounces of filet mignon ($30.99), which you can top with fresh mushrooms ($2.99), drizzle with port demi-glace ($2.95), and side with french-fried onion rings ($4.79/full order), among other things. Beyond the beef, discriminating diners can branch out into lamb osso bucco ($23.99), Long Island duckling in a bing cherry glaze ($21.99), or potato-encrusted salmon in an orange horseradish beurre blanc ($19.99). A wine menu featuring 17 by-the-glass options, such as Italian Al Verdi Pinot Grigio ($5.25), and more than 100 bottle options are available to pair with delectable dishes, as well as lubricate conversation that's been desiccated by too many office anecdotes.
The Clarmont's consistency of quality goes beyond the last resounding echo of the dinner gong, however. Early birds can dine on a breakfast of cheese and ham omelette ($7) or eggs Benedict with Canadian bacon ($8), while late risers and cubicle escapees can stroll in at lunch for a prime-rib French-dip sandwich with chips ($8.99) or a Provimi calves liver with sautéed onions ($9.29).
After being accustomed to cold, leftover pizza, a belly-tank fueled with high-octane grilled meats powers the body like a protein-propelled jet engine. Enjoy a wide selection of tongue-revving dishes that coast down the esophagus like a tasty Rolls-Royce with today's fine-dining Groupon to The Clarmont.
- This is one of the longest-running restaurants in Columbus, so it’s safe to assume they’re doing something right. Namely, that’s serving traditional steaks, chops and grilled fish with comforting sides, like baked or mashed potatoes. The lamb osso buco and prime rib of beef are both topnotch. Upping the ante, the prime rib is seasoned and roasted on-site daily. When it’s gone, it’s gone so it’s essential to get there early. Waitresses have crazy hairdos, have been here forever and routinely take your order without a pencil and pad. – Gayot
- Now the upscale, white-tablecloth eatery offers a high-class escape. And the menu still has that classic edge, including oysters Rockefeller and escargot. Finely made steaks, fish and chicken dishes round out the menu. – Metromix Columbus
- Old-school dining and great steaks. – TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
- A Columbus tradition. Still the place to be for "power" breakfasts. – bdemora, Zagat
- Great food, great ambience (live piano), great service. All seafood and steak dinners are wonderful, and the chef(s) know how to cook your steak too. – chris1961, Citysearch
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Mar 18, 2011. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per person. Limit 1 per table, 2 for tables of 5 or more. Not valid with other offers. No cash back or credit. Reservation required. Gratuity not included. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.