Improv comedians are a human breed originally formed from the tears of a vaudevillian and the psychoactive film on a tree frog's back. Breed your own comedy with today's Groupon for admission and one soda at The Comedy Shrine Theater in Naperville. Choose from the following two deal options:
- $10 for one ticket and a soda to Fridays at 8 p.m. and Saturdays at 8 and 10 p.m., for ages 14 and up (a $22 value)
- $10 for one ticket and a soda to Fridays at 10 p.m., a racier show for ages 17 and up (a $22 value)
The Comedy Shrine specializes in improvised shows in the vein of ABC's Whose Line Is It Anyway?, with comedic options for wholesome families and naughty adults alike. The performers make up situations and details as they go along, and what hilarity emerges is a result of training, audience suggestion, and underlying psychological issues. You'll experience this comedic instability first hand as you yuck it up on a weekend evening, losing workaday worries and anxiety over the fez-clad organ-grinder monkeys that shadow your every step in the general waves of audience laughter. This Shrine ensemble is made up of experienced actors and comedians, trained largely in the hallowed improv halls of Chicago, and more than willing to fling themselves into a vast bounty of ridiculousness, all in the name of entertainment.
The Comedy Shrine has received an average of 4.5 stars from Yelpers, who enjoyed the show:
- My boyfriend's dad "didn't want to go because he does not like comedy shows"… He laughed the entire show with the rest of us. He is now a believer. – Christy K.
- It's almost a museum of comedy and it was great to see that they pulled in memorabilia from all different eras of comedy. – James E.
- Everything is entirely improv and the troupe as a whole is definitely one of a kind. – Deanna C.
The Comedy Shrine Theater
The Comedy Shrine draws out unstifled snorts with standup sets and performances from a house company of improvisers culled from laugh institutions such as Second City, iO, and ComedySportz. Inspired by the hit TV show Whose Line Is It Anyway?, Whose Line? puts together an ensemble of professional improvisers for a night of word games and spontaneously created scenarios and characters. Whose Line? The Naughty Show spices up the proceedings with raunchy profanity, spicy innuendo, and adults-only humor. Billed as an interactive drinking game, the ad-libbed proceedings of The Bar Show govern quaffs more effectively than paying a friend to throw pinches of salt into your mouth. The Raw Talent Showcase gives up-and-comers a chance in the spotlight, impressing audiences with fresh material.