There are few freedoms as liberating as being able to fly, which is why humans spent millennia inventing the airplane and why penguins are so very, very bitter. Exceed evolutionary shortcomings with today’s Groupon to The Flight School, located at the Weiser Air Park in Cypress. Choose between the following options:
- For $59, you get an extended discovery-flight session (a $120 total value). The session includes:
- One hour of flight and ground instruction (a $42 value)
- About 40 minutes of flight time (a $78 value including fuel and plane-rental fee)
- For $149, you get a three-hour package for private-pilot training (a $304.80 total value). The package includes:
- Three hours of flight and ground instruction (a $126 value)
- Training in an FAA-approved simulator (a $72 value)
- About 50 minutes of flight time (an $88.80 value including fuel and plane-rental fee)
- Pilot's logbook to log 1.3 flight hours toward pilot's license (a $15 value)
- A headset rental (a $3 value)
The Flight School's experienced FAA-certified flight instructors guide aspiring cloud-skimmers through thrilling aerial explorations and successful checkrides aboard one of nine aircraft, including the popular Cessna 172. During an introductory discovery flight, students undertake a sky-high primer, taking over the controls to direct turns, climbs, and descents throughout their journey. Winged vessels undulate softly like the vibrato of an alpine yodeler as hovering passengers peep over the sprawling lines and sparkling lights of Houston from the northwest.
The three-hour pilot-training package shepherds pupils through the next flight hour on their quest toward pilot certification. A ground-school course establishes flying foundations, while a session with an Elite brand, FAA-approved flight simulator provides practice reading instruments, handling multiple control panels, and dodging wayward helium balloons. After taking to the air, pilots-to-be record 1.3 hours of flight time in the provided pilot's logbook, counting down toward the 40 hours required for a license. The ground school, simulator, and flight portions of the package can be completed at different times or simultaneously during fissures in space-time.
The Flight School
A 2012 Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association's Outstanding Flight School, The Flight School's FAA-certified instructors propel aspiring pilots toward their aviation goals, starting students off on their paths to becoming jet-flying professionals or recreational pilots with complete mastery of the fundamentals. In addition to explaining theory during ground instruction and using an FAA-certified PI-135 flight simulator to safely begin developing the necessary in-flight skills, the instructors take students airborne for hands-on practice. The rental fleet boasts nine aircraft, including a Cessna 172, a Piper Arrow, and a twin-engine flying carpet.