Though it is illegal for pranksters to shout about nonexistent fires in a theater, shrieking after an encounter with an under-seat gum wad is permissible. Shout about what's on stage instead with today's Groupon: for $17, you get one ticket to the Footlight Players' production of South Pacific at the Dock Street Theatre (up to a $35 value). Choose from 11 available performances:
• Friday, August 5 at 8 p.m.
• Saturday, August 6 at 8 p.m.
• Sunday, August 7 at 3 p.m.
• Thursday, August 11 at 8 p.m.
• Friday, August 12 at 8 p.m.
• Saturday, August 13 at 8 p.m.
• Sunday, August 14 at 3 p.m.
• Thursday, August 18 at 8 p.m.
• Friday, August 19 at 8 p.m.
• Saturday, August 20 at 8 p.m.
• Sunday, August 21 at 3 p.m.
The Footlight Players community theater presents six plays each season, providing a cultural and creative outlet for the community for the past 80 years. The Rodgers and Hammerstein classic South Pacific unfurls its tropical wings on Dock Street Theatre's historic stage, conveying the love story of an American nurse and a French expatriate during World War II. Performers bellow much-beloved tunes such as "Some Enchanted Evening" and "There Is Nothin' Like a Dame," a not-so-subtle ode to Judi Dench. Theatergoers can take in the sweeping set from their first-floor perches in the newly renovated space, complete with comfy seats, high-quality light and sound, and respectful ghosts who stop whispering when the curtain goes up.
135 Church St.
Charleston, South Carolina 29401