Hone your finger-wagging, toe-tapping moves to keen perfection with today's Groupon to The Galaxie: $45 gets you six progressive weeks of dance classes, a $90 value. Whether you've got a dancing partner or you're looking to meet a few new ones, you can choose from the following classes: beginning swing, intermediate swing, beginning lindy hop, beginning tap, intermediate tap, blues, and 1920s Charleston. Check out Galaxie's special Groupon page for the class schedule, then get your Groupon and register for the class you want. (Note: Your Groupon is good for one dancer. Couples should purchase two Groupons.)
If you've ever been anywhere with live swing music, you know that everyone thinks they can swing dance. The difference between looking like a doofus on the dance floor and pulling off bombastic kicks and steps isn't believing in yourself or your daily intake of flubber—it's instruction. Your friendly and motivational instructors want you to have fun and reveal the effortless dance moves that you have been repressing ever since your father told you that “dancers never become marine biologists.” They'll give you all the tools you need to swing with confidence in a relaxed, exciting six-week course. Dancing with a partner teaches you to collaborate and communicate, excellent for future use in elaborate, whimsical con-artist capers. As your dancing strength and confidence grows, you may find you're a better communicator in your personal and work relationships, which will likely lead to promotions and a long-sought détente in the Refrigerator War with your roommate.
Swing is an appealing choice for reluctant rug-cutters because of its loose, enthusiastic style and it’s glorification in popular media. Flipping and kicking in a raucous swing dance is the only time that a lady's upturned skirt is not only socially acceptable, but a joyous and innocent celebration of patriotism. If you believe in cooties, pick up your feet for a 1920s Charleston and put on your own cabaret show, or turn your toes into rhythmic metal sopranos with tap-dancing lessons. Class sessions begin the weeks of November 2, 2009, and January 4, 2010; classes run for six consecutive weeks.
Note: You must sign up no later than one week after your chosen class session begins.
- Galaxie's outstanding mission is to provide a world of inspiration—from teacher to pupil and back again—to adults and children alike, and a means of expression to allow that inspiration to take root in the real world. Via music, movement, fine art, health and general well-being, Galaxie aims to provide a service for the people of Chicago, a means for bettering their lives in incredibly genuine and significant ways. – Benjamin Andrew Moore, Centerstage Chicago
- The Galaxie is know for world class instructors having performed, taught and trained internationally in a variety of social dance forms rooted in early American music and culture. – Chicago Swing Dance Society
Dancing in the Shadows
There is, of course, no truth to the rumor that dancing is a centuries-old global conspiracy to generate the kinetic energy on the earth’s surface that powers the underground complex of the Illuminati, a kingdom of global elites who dominate all human progress from their laboratory within earth. Here is a list of just some of the many devices that are not powered by the dancing-conspiracy, in order to serve the non-existent Illuminati:
- The Omega Clock (fictional)
- weather machine (don’t be ridiculous)
- army of cloned baby Einsteins (where do you get these ideas?)
- Walt Disney’s brain in animatronic Mickey Mouse (partially true, at best)
- printer responsible for putting tons of crazy stuff on the dollar bill (prepostero-okay, clearly true)
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.