Learn sewing basics while sewing a zippered pouch, or learn to work with leather tools and create a belt, iPad case, and passport holder
About This Deal
- During the four-part beginners Sewing Fundamentals class, instructors impart tips and techniques on sewing straight seams, inserting an invisible zipper, and following patterns.
- Participants create three different projects: a pillowcase, a drawstring bag, and a zippered pouch.
- No sewing experience is required to take either class.
- Students in the Leather Fundamentals class must have either taken Sewing Fundamentals or have equivalent experience independently.
- View the FAQs here for more information.
- The Leather Fundamentals class is available only at the Bloor Street location.
About The Make Den
Alison Broverman of the National Post reported that "sewing machine phobia melts away" in The Make Den's studio. There, in a space resembling a 1950s kitchen, founder and Ryerson University grad Irene Stickney interweaves sound sewing principles and time-saving tricks into her workshops. Subjects range from an initial, embroidered letter of introduction to sewing techniques and the otherworldly style of Lady Gaga. Several of the Den's instructors can also be seen gliding through the streets of the city in their own outrageous, hand-sewn matching creations as members of the Deadly Nightshades fashion-and-cycling posse.