Tea is said to lower stress, boost alertness, and taste like tea. Loosen your leaves at The Random Tea Room & Curiosity Shop, a zen-steeped Northern Liberties tea shop abrew with artisanal teas, house-blended herbal infusions, baked goods, French-press Old City Coffee, vintage goods, and locally made jewelry. This Groupon gets you $10 worth of anything in the shop for just $5.
The Random Tea Room has about 40 types of teas, including black teas from Sri Lanka and Assam, caffeine-free tisanes, Chinese reds, Darjeeling, Japanese teas, Pu-erh, and yerba mate. Regulars love Random's chai masala, which is made every morning from scratch with Harmutty Assam, hand-ground spices (fresh ginger, brown sugar, vanilla, and rose), and Maplehofe Farms whole milk.
Antique accoutrements dot the walls and windows of the shop, a warm and welcoming place with yellow paint and shelves stacked with yummy blends. It's a perfect spot to relax and zen with pals; the friendly, attentive staff is as warm as the tea.
Drinking tea is more than just imbibing a delicious beverage made by infusing hot water with dried, tasty herbs and leaves. For many, it's a social engagement that eventually leads to common-law marriage and an excuse to nosh on mouthwatering sweets and tiny sandwiches. Smart people like drinking tea, and beyond being a fully relaxing and calming military-grade sedative, tea is said to have numerous medicinal benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease and arthritis.
- This Northern Liberties gem has the perfect selection of teas with daily iced tea specials. Their Chai is the best I’ve ever had, and they have a nice selection of antique collectibles and gift items to look over while they prepare your beverage. I feel a bit calmer every time I walk in. – Ali Mccloud, Philadelphia magazine
- Don’t be deceived by the decadence, the clear beauty of bamboo centerpieces and the turn-of-the-century billiards table masquerading as proper furniture. If Random Tea Room were truly being honest with you, I’d be writing a radar for a “Meticulous Tea Room.” Homemade masala chai is prepared every day—the spices ground by hand, and each teacup is chosen for its aesthetic compliment to the gorgeous pots presented to patrons eager for tea-L.C. – Not For Tourists
The Random Tea & Curiosity Shop gets 4.5 stars on Yelp:
- stopped in this weekend and fell in love. the shop is small, but they have an incredible selection of chinese and japanese teas, tisanes, and "healing" teas. – Sisi L.
- I have not found another tea room in Philly that is quite like this, full of tea and a peaceful escape. The staff is very knowledgeable about their teas and exactly how they should be brewed. – POPPED F.
- This tea lover's paradise offers a dose of tranquility and a respite from the hectic world that lies outside. Spend five minutes here drinking green iced tea and you'll feel oh so very zen without even trying! – MiRIAM w.
The Health Benefits of Tea
Tea has many miraculous health benefits, especially for children and teenagers. Children ages 9–17 who drink tea regularly commonly experience the following benefits:
- A rapid increase in height
- New hair growth
- Higher levels of androgens that cause increased perspiration
Northern Liberties/ Fishtown
713 N 4th St
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123Get Directions