A stitch in time saves nine, as it wraps the number in a protective thread cocoon to shield it from the ravenous jaws of seven. Weave your own fashion-forward armour with today's Groupon: for $79, you get a four-week Quick Start sewing program at The Sewing Studio (a $169.50 value, including HST). Classes meet on the same day, once a week, for two hours at a time. Students are responsible for their own fabric and supplies. Choose from the following class days and times:
• Mondays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., starting August 1
• Mondays from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., starting August 1
• Tuesdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., starting August 2
• Wednesdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., starting August 3
• Thursdays from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., starting August 4
• Fridays from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., starting August 5
• Fridays from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., starting August 5
• Saturdays from 10 a.m. to noon, starting August 6
• Saturdays from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., starting August 6
• Saturdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., starting August 6
• Mondays from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., starting September 12
• Saturdays from 10 a.m. to noon, starting September 17
• Sundays from 11:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., starting September 18
• Sundays from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., starting September 18
The Sewing Studio imbues the fingers of creative neophytes and practiced stitchers alike with detailed lessons on fabric alchemy. Embark on a threading quest with the Quick Start program, which gives students a solid sewing foundation to construct cloth treatises on, including a tote bag, apron, and buttoned makeup case. A dream team of instructors coaches students in the art of machine stitching, inverted pleating, and sewing buttons that won't budge even under heavy pressure from large meals or Hulk-like tantrums. Class sizes are kept to a maximum of eight seamsters, ensuring one-on-one attention and ample room for friendly needle fencing.
The Sewing Studio
Magazine editor Denise Wild started out teaching her friends to sew, and before long she was teaching her friends' friends. Her network of students led her to create The Sewing Studio, which now proudly teaches the seamstress arts in New York and Toronto. She and her staff impart methods for bobbing and weaving colourful threads through linens, taking students from beginning steps to advance endeavours such as creating their own skirts, handbags, and party dresses. Denise and company lead lessons in a bright and intimate classroom setting, helping participants learn to alter their own clothes or re-create treasured designer duds by hand. The Sewing Studio also nurtures aspiring fashionistas through after-school programming and week-long intensive sessions. Over the course of five days, guests can brainstorm, sew, and model their own garments or drop by for a workshop on creating dresses and kevlar body armour for American Girl dolls.
1225 Yonge St.
Toronto, Ontario M4T 1W4Get Directions