All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
What You'll Get
After factoring in all the potential pitfalls (bad weather, bugs, boomerangs), the great outdoors seem drastically overrated for climbing. Today’s Groupon supports your mock-rock mission with a $7 all-day pass and shoe rental at The Spot Bouldering Gym, an indoor rock-climbing gym in Boulder.
Spend the entire day (until 11 p.m. on weekdays and 8 p.m. on weekends) scaling man-made mountains stretching up to 18 feet high, just like your favorite lizard or video game character. If you’re not geeked out to grope massive boulders with Huecco, Fontainebleau, and Yosemite textures and forms, the 10,000-square-foot space also hosts a 25-foot-tall roped wall, exercise equipment, and cushy flooring for seamless dismounts.
Instead of worrying about outdoor climbing’s uncontrollable elements, you’ll be able to completely focus on your crawl. Indoor rock escalation is also more specific: the rock holds cup your feet and direct your ascent, which is perfect for first-time climbers. Experienced climbers will appreciate the convenience of a rock gym for a fun after-work workout or nighttime adrenaline rush. You don't have to complete any formal training to go bouldering at The Spot, but the friendly staff is happy to give you some basic instruction and show you around the gym before you climb, helping you out with their telekinesis, and, more frequently, encouragement.
Rally your friends for a make-believe Mars expedition, or go it alone and get a workout that works nearly every muscle in the body.
Note: New climbers must sign a waiver.
- This is a world I can get used to…I first laid eyes on the Spot Bouldering Gym about 3 years ago and I have been in love with this nook of climbing utopia ever since. I will admit it, I have chosen to climb at The Spot over ideal climbing conditions outside. It seems silly, but The Spot can feel like the most rational and fun choice sometimes. – Bronco, Pimpin & Crimpin
- This is the best bouldering gym I have ever been to. – Tim C., Yelp
In addition to having about a zillion awesome videos online, the bouldering community has sought out a number of celebrity spokespeople to endorse the emerging sport. In fact, the following celebrities offered these sentiments unsolicited, so pure was their love of bouldering. Check them out!
- As a three-time presidential candidate for the Federalist Party, I can tell you nothing takes the edge off twice losing to that brainiac Thomas Jefferson like scuttling up a sizeable chunk of white granite. I found it kept my regiment in excellent shape when our mettle was tested at the Battle of Brandywine. – Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, Early American Statesman
- I climb more for work than recreation, but it’d be nice to be able to cling to the surface of something without some animal-themed mad scientist braining me with an Adamantium wrecking bar. – Spider-Man, Menace
- Please stop calling me Carl, my name is Reginald, Reginald VelJohnson. Carl Winslow on Family Matters is just one of many characters I’ve played over the years. A lot of people know me as Sergeant Al Powell in Die Hard. Have you seen Die Hard? You’ve only seen the new one? Well that’s just perfect. – Carl Winslow, Treasured Character Actor
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Jan 7, 2010. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per visit. Not valid with other offers. Must be 18 years or older. If under 18, must be accompanied by parent or legal guardian. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.