All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
Reviewed May 30, 2012
Reviewed May 29, 2012
Reviewed May 13, 2012
What You'll Get
- Two-night stay for two adults and up to two kids in Deluxe room
- $40 food-and-beverage credit
- Two days of valet parking<p>
Alpine Alcove Resort Steeped in Old West History
Girded by snowy peaks from the sky-high Teton Mountains in the northwest to the striated cliffs of the Gros Ventre Range in the southeast, the valley of Jackson Hole hides a tiny pocket of development amid a prodigious expanse of untrammeled nature. Within the valley, the AAA Four Diamond Wort Hotel, once a gambling hotbed for the area’s wealthy fur trappers, today harbors a fortune of a different kind: the undulating formica Silver Dollar Bar, inlaid with row upon row of 1921 Morgan silver dollars. The 2,032 profiles of Lady Liberty soak up spilled sips of specialty martinis and margaritas to the tunes of live music three nights a week.
Housed in a timber frame and stone exterior, the guest rooms reflect the hotel’s 1941 origins and position on the National Register of Historic Places as well as its extensive renovations after a 1980 fire. Lodgepole-pine furnishings receive guests with rustic comfort in Deluxe rooms where cowboys mosey along mountain paths across custom-printed linens adorning down pillows and comforters.
Continuing the Old West theme, a hotel-wide collection of hundreds of oils, bronzes, and sculptures capture buffalo herds and rowdy saloons alike, viewable via a self-guided walking tour. When bellies grow jealous of the eyes’ relentless feasting, the Silver Dollar Grill mediates with a spread of seared game and other regional fare served beneath an original Wort Hotel roulette wheel.
Jackson, Wyoming: Hiking and Wildlife-Spotting Near Yellowstone
Around Jackson’s town square, four white arches soar overhead at each corner, formed from a dense bramble of age-bleached elk antlers. Similarly, in every direction, the city limits of Jackson stretch toward dense wilderness and wildlife. As autumn lights up alpine slopes with swatches of fiery aspens, bighorn sheep scale cliffs and trumpeter swans paddle through lakes in search of princesses with which to pose. Once powdery snow transforms steep slopes nearby into a ski-friendly winter wonderland, elk, moose, and bison congregate in the valley.
In addition to bordering the Shoshone, Bridger, and Targhee National Forests, Jackson forms a gateway to the stony crown of Grand Teton National Park, studded with sparkling ice patches. Mountaineers can hike hundreds of miles of trails, or saddle up an equestrian companion to reenact childhood cowboy dreams. To the north, the Tetons meet Yellowstone National Park, America’s first national park. Within Yellowstone, Old Faithful erupts every 60 to 110 minutes, powered—along with dozens of other geysers—by the Yellowstone supervolcano.
Recommendations for Your Getaway
- Jackson Lake<p>Gouged out by rampaging glaciers, this nearly 15-mile lake now peacefully mirrors Teton peaks in its limpid waters, enabling fishing, swimming, boating, and water-skiing among its many inlets.</p>
- Teton Science Schools Wildlife Expeditions<p>Trained biologists lead safaris based on recent sightings in search of bighorn sheep, pronghorn antelope, bison, moose, and elk, pointing out geological highlights on the way.</p>
- National Museum of Wildlife Art<p>More than 5,000 fauna-themed works by Georgia O’Keeffe, Auguste Rodin, Rosa Bonheur, and other artists are housed in a sandstone edifice that straddles a butte.</p>
- Jackson Hole Whitewater<p>Experienced guides captain rafts down the Class III Snake River on either rollicking whitewater adventures or relaxing, scenic glides.</p>
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Dec 23, 2011. Amount paid never expires. Must book between 9/18-12/22, travel must be completed by 12/22. Not valid 9/20-9/24 or 10/8. Limit 2 per person. Limit 2 per visit. Subject to availability. 14-day cancellation notice required or fee up to Groupon price may apply. Valid only for Deluxe Room with 2 Queens or 1 King. Credit card required at booking. Must be 18 or older to check-in. 12.32% tax not included. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.