What You'll Get
Choose from Three Options
- $37 for 5 yoga classes ($65 value)
- $69 for 10 yoga classes ($120 value)
- $126 for 20 yoga classes and a 30-minute massage ($246 value)
- Click here to see the schedule.
Three Things to Know About Yoga
Few fitness disciplines meld relaxation and strength-building like yoga. Read on to learn about its surprising origins and incredible diversity.
1. In Sanskrit, yoga means “union.” (The word shares a root with the English word “yoke.”) The things being united are the mind, body, and breath, as practitioners use motion to guide the thoughts toward peaceful awareness and away from the funny-looking dog walking past the studio window.
2. Historically, strength and flexibility were probably just side benefits. In fact, some of the first Indian yogis to arrive to the U.S. explicitly rejected asanas, or postures, as a distraction from meditation. Recent research by yogi and scholar Mark Singleton indicates that, starting in the 1920s, a Scandinavian fitness system known as Primitive Gymnastics became wildly popular in India, and began to meld with far older yoga traditions that were more concerned with breath and focus. Around the same time, other teachers in India traveled the country teaching strengthening and combat techniques under the guise of yoga, in the hopes of preparing to rise against British rule. This complex stew of influences eventually produced the blend of movement and meditation most Westerners recognize as yoga today.
3. Today an estimated 20–30 million North Americans practice yoga. What that looks like in practice is wildly diverse—everything from sweaty, tolerance-testing hot yoga to quick-flowing vinyasa yoga to “laughter yoga,” which combines yogic breathing with deliberate laughter to ease stress. One of yoga’s greatest virtues is its adaptability: props make classes accessible to older students, and prenatal classes teach pregnant women poses that take into account their extra-stretchy ligaments and tendency toward lower-back pain.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires 120 days after purchase. Amount paid never expires. Must activate by expiration date on voucher; membership expires 60 days from activation date. Limit 1 per person, may buy 3 additional as gifts. Limit 1 per visit. Valid only for option purchased. All goods or services must be used by the same person. Not valid with any other offers or specials. 30-minute massage cannot be exchanged for other goods or services. 30-minute massage can be redeemed after attending first class. Must use 10 pack of classes within 10 weeks of activation. Must use 20 pack of classes within 12 weeks of activation. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.