As you gear up for cheery holiday travel and festive airport lines, transport yourself to a time when travel was neither so comfortable nor so speedy. With today's Groupon to Theatrical Outfit, $15 gets you a ticket to see Mark Brown's stage adaptation of ¬Jules Verne's classic novel Around the World in 80 Days, a $35 value. Your ticket is good for performances from 10/28 through 11/1 and 11/5 through 11/8 (click here to see showtimes for those dates). Once you've got your Groupon, call the box office to reserve your preferred date and the FAA to notify it of your imminent global balloon jaunt. Gain new appreciation for the fellow air traveler who insists on showing you pictures on his phone, or get inspired to set out on a trans-Siberian jaunt by this comedic continent-hopping adventure.
Innovative time machines known as actors enable you to travel through the depths of time to the year 1872. There, you'll join Victorian-era natives Phileas Fogg and his manservant, Passepartout, as they race against time to circumnavigate the globe, while a bumbling detective follows suit. Supporting actors display their impressive range and comedic prowess, bounding about the stage as Fogg encounters the natives of each continent and culture. Proving Einstein's theory of relativity, you'll only age two hours during your epic journey, but the world outside the theatre will be thrust into the future. Avoid losing your friends and family in the intricate folds of spacetime by bringing them along on your adventure through the centuries and around the world.
One of Atlanta's oldest professional theater companies, Theatrical Outfit performs in the Balzer Theater in the historic Herren's Restaurant building, and the gorgeous space continues to contribute to the region's rich culture, depositing theater seeds that are themselves exported around the world to plant new baby theaters. Around the World in 80 Days is fun for the whole family, so bring along your reluctant fifth grader or gung-ho granny and engage with a classic novel in a novel way.
Creative Loafing named Theatrical Outfit Best Theater Company, and has nice things to say about past productions, such as Gee's Bend and A Lesson Before Dying. It raves about Theatrical Outfit's talented performers in Around the World in 80 Days:
- Brown’s text and Key’s performance humanize Fogg over the course of his journey, and he becomes a man of passion, not just android-like mathematical precision...James Donadio... combines irony with class as the show’s primary narrator, and plays hilariously off Murphey. Together, the pair has a whale of a time, with a comedy team dynamic reminiscent of Dudley Moore and the late Peter Cook. – Curt Holman, Creative Loafing
Around The World in a Relatively Decent Chunk of Time
If your virtual world tour doesn’t staunch your wanderlust, you can always travel Phileas Fogg–style in your own Victorian-era hot air balloon. Here are some tips for recreating Jules Verne’s fantastical scenario at home:
- You can never bring too many dashing chapeaus.
- Twinkies never go stale, but they will send passing geese into a frenzied breeding rage.
- Don’t drop Fabergé eggs over Belgium; they have no sense of humor.
- If you don’t see dry land for 30 minutes, you’re already dead.
- Remember, no one can see you cry up there, and your father’s criticisms will never float as high as your dreams.
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
84 Luckie St Nw
Atlanta, Georgia 30303Get Directions