Creativity can strike at any moment, whether you're near a canvas and brushes or beside a slumbering strongman and many rolls of toilet paper. Learn to recognize opportune moments with this Groupon.
Choose Between Two Options
- $15 for two drop-in circus-skills classes for an adult or a child (up to a $30 value)
- $30 for four circus-skills classes for an adult or a child (up to a $60 value)
This deal is valid for any of the following classes:
- Beginning Trapeze (adults, Monday from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.): students learn to perform gravity-defying tricks while suspended in the air
- Beginner Juggling (ages 10+, Monday from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.): this accessible class covers the basics of three-ball juggling
- Intermediate/Advanced Juggling (ages 10+, Monday from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.): thing-throwers step up their game to include clubs and juggling with a partner
- Improv/Comedy (no age specified, Wednesday from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m.): games, group work, and basic slapstick help performers learn to trust their instincts and overcome their fear of cream pies
- Stretching and Conditioning (no age specified, Wednesday from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m.): core and upper-body strength are the main focus of these sessions, which also develop flexibility
- Beginning/Intermediate Partner Acrobatics (ages 14+, Wednesday from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.): students learn to balance on each other at altitudes low and high
- Magic for Kids! (ages 7–16, Monday from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.): magician Wendal Wandell teaches adolescent illusionists how to make and perform their own tricks
Toy Boat Community Art Space
In 2012, the Runaway Circus struck upon a brilliant idea—find an unused studio space to fix up and turn into a community art center dedicated to teaching and practicing acrobatics, juggling, comedy, and highly physical performance art. That dream became the Toy Boat Community Art Space, which today provides a home base for such acts as the jugglers Forty Fingers and a Missing Tooth and the mysterious Wendal Wandell, who conjures waves of applause with his feats of legerdemain. Those without a big-top passion project to work on at the gym-cum-art studio can participate in other upcoming events involving folk music acts, DJ sessions, goofy plays for young and old, and unpredictable comedy shows.