What You'll Get
For $35, today's rookie side deal gets you enrolled as a serious player in one of the Underdog Sports Leagues' co-ed adult sports leagues, up to a $75 value. Woody Adams, league leader and winner of Portland Monthly's 2008 Best Sports League Mogul, has been a full-time fun provider for joy-starved adults since 2005 and now oversees 6,000 members and fosters a team-sports-and-beer atmosphere for all. Choose from five leagues:
- Bowling at Hollywood Bowl, with sessions beginning May 19 and 20 and July 8 (a $70 value)
- Drinks on the Links mini-golf at Sah-Hah-Lee or the Tualatin Island Greens, with sessions beginning June 9 and 10 and July 29 (a $65 value)
- Outdoor dodgeball at Jefferson High School, beginning June 9 (a $75 value)
- Grass volleyball at Oregon Park, beginning June 9 (a $75 value)
- Flag football at Lewis and Clark College, with sessions beginning June 23 and 27 (a $75 value)
Bowling aficionados must sign up solo, but but groups of friends can be placed on the same league by entering the names of your preferred teammates during sign-up (teams are made up of 6–10 people). Bowling runs for six weeks of theme nights and liquid sunshine, and Drinks on the Links mini-golf features themes, an on-course bar, and music. Ben Stiller impersonators can battle it out during outdoor dodgeball, and grass volleyball teams go head to soft, leather head in Oregon Park. Flag football was invented by Betsy Ross.
Limit one league sign-up per person. Not valid for existing sign-ups or for full team fees.
- Now Underdog has reached what Adams calls “critical mass”: 6,000 members playing everything from volleyball to Ultimate Frisbee. In fact, Underdog is so successful that Adams quit his job in TV production last year and made the league his full-time gig. But lest you think that organizing a sports league is stressful—and somewhat like work—think again. “It’s not so much about being competitive,” Adams says. “It’s about playing, drinking some beers, maybe winning a championship or two.” – Portland Monthly
- Kickball is a blast, and each league is sponsored by a local bar where everyone goes to socialize after the game. This is the underlying theme of underdog, the social aspect. – Kyle F., Yelp
The Fine Print
Expiration varies. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 league sign-up per person, may buy multiple as gifts. Valid only for sports listed. Subject to availability. Not valid for existing sign-ups. Cannot be applied toward full team fees. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.