What You'll Get
Choose from Three Options
- $350 for a New Years’ Eve balloon drop ($650 value)
- $150 for a party-balloon package with two columns, one single-line arch, and up to eight balloon bouquets ($350 value)
- $75 for one balloon arch ($250 value)
Four Things to Know About Helium
Outside of a stack of vinyl harpsichord recordings, nothing says a party like a bundle of helium balloons. Read on to learn more about what’s inside these festive floaters.
1. It’s the second most common element in existence, behind hydrogen. Although the universe will never see a shortage of helium, some fear that, based on the current rate of helium use, Earth’s supply may be exhausted in the future. For now, the US is the world’s largest supplier of helium gas.
2. Helium is lighter than air. While a liter of air weighs 1.25 grams, a liter of helium weighs just 0.18 grams. This is why a filling a balloon with helium makes it float and why Fred Astaire pumped helium into his shoes before every dance.
3. Heed the Hindenburg. Hydrogen is more buoyant than helium, but it’s also highly flammable, making it a risky choice to fill dirigibles. Nonetheless, engineers of the famous Hindenburg blimp filled it with hydrogen instead—a fact that some early studies blamed for the aircraft’s infamous fire. Such claims have since been disputed, however.
4. Inhaling helium can change the sound of your voice. Because helium is lighter than air, the speed of sound in helium is much faster than the speed of sound in air. When filled with helium, the vocal tract still remains the same size, so the frequency of the sound waves must increase, resulting in what sounds like a higher pitch. Note: inhaling helium is very dangerous and can lead to lung damage and even death; do not try it at home.
About Up & Away Balloons
The Fine Print
Expiration varies. Amount paid never expires. Valid only within 30 miles of zip code 92056. Appointment required. Limit 1 per person, may buy 1 additional as gift. Valid only for option purchased. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.