Until the surfboard was invented, mankind’s only hope for summer fun involved competitive sunburning and watching flowers die. Make the outdoors great with this Groupon.
Choose from Six Options
- $29 for a two-hour surfboard and wetsuit rental for one (a $60 value)
- $55 for a two-hour surfboard and wetsuit rental for two (a $120 value)
- $49 for a two-hour semiprivate surfing lesson and practice session with surfboard and wetsuit rental for one (a $150 value)
- $89 for a two-hour semiprivate surfing lesson and practice session with surfboard and wetsuit rental for two (a $300 value)
- $199 for a five-day surf camp for one child (a $425 value)
- $249 for a five-day surf camp for one adult (a $500 value)
Matt Rosas runs groups of up to six through surfing basics, then leads them into the water to practice catching waves. After a one-hour lesson, he sets them loose for an hour to practice what they’ve learned. The lessons are recommended for students aged 8 and older. Those with their own boards can bring them to the lesson.
Surf camp for adults and kids comprises five weekdays of lessons from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The lessons do not need to be taken consecutively.
Venice Beach Surf School
When instructor Matt Rosas compares surfing to "riding energy from the sun," his words evoke the freedom and carefree attitude that has come to be synonymous with the sport. He hopes to instill that same effervescent feeling in his students and customers at Venice Beach Surf School, where he draws from more than 25 years' experience teaching surfing and standup paddleboarding lessons. In the churning surf and on the white sand beaches of Santa Monica, Venice, Marina del Rey, and four other Southern California beaches, he coaches paddlers in the basics of catching waves, standing, and running over the biggest sand castle on shore. He also arranges rentals of water-sports equipment to let visitors explore the waters on their own.