Experience the splendor of winter in Alaska from the comfort of a warm railcar, complete with comfortable seats, large picture windows and onboard dining. The Aurora Winter Train travels between Anchorage and Fairbanks, making the northbound 12-hour journey on Saturdays, as well as select mid-week departures (Tuesdays and/or Thursdays) December through March. Flagstop service is provided along the 50-mile stretch of roadless backcountry south of Hurricane Gulch.
While the Aurora Winter Train travels the same stretch of tracks as the summer Denali Star Train, the views are strikingly distinct; the vibrant colors of Alaska’s summer landscape give way to the quiet serenity of pristine snow. On a clear day, a spectacular view of Denali rises into view above the Susitna River. And anywhere along the tracks, a watchful eye may be rewarded with the sight of a moose in the wild.
What You'll Get
Visit: 411 W 1st Ave Alaska Railroad Train Depot, Anchorage, AK 99501-1635
The route spans two of Alaska’s five geographic regions – Southcentral and Interior Alaska. Traveling between Anchorage and Talkeetna, the train crosses the Knik River with the Chugach Mountains as a backdrop. Just south of Talkeetna, watch for views of Denali rising high above the Susitna River. North of Talkeetna, the tracks veer away from the road system and into the backcountry Hurricane area; this region offers views of the snaking Indian River, the occasional remote cabin and the expansive sight of Hurricane Gulch from the top of a 296-foot bridge. South of the Denali National Park, Broad Pass offers majestic views of the Alaska Range in all directions. North of the Denali National Park, the train winds along Healy Canyon, following the curves of the Nenana River below.
• Depart Anchorage at 8:30 am
• Arrive Fairbanks at 8:00 pm
• Explore Fairbanks on your own, accommodations booked separately and at own expense
• (Option for accommodations or additional rail transportation - to be scheduled directly with Alaska Railroad after booking)Snack bar and optional dining available for purchase.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Infants (0-1) may be added to a reservation as lap children (not requiring a paid, reserved seat) but they must be registered in the booking. To register an infant as a lap child, please indicate so in the “Special Requests” option in the final checkout and include the infant’s name, age and gender.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- One-way rail transportation from Anchorage to Fairbanks
- Comfortable reserved seating in non-smoking cars
- Baggage services
- Optional dining and snack bar
- Lodging in Anchorage or Fairbanks
- Tours and activities in Anchorage or Fairbanks
- Transportation to depot in Anchorage or after arriving in Fairbanks
- These options can be booked independently or through Alaska Railroad directly after booking.
Alaska Railroad Depot
411 West First Avenue
Anchorage, Alaska 99501
1031 Alaska Railroad Depot Road, Fairbanks, AK 99701
Accommodations and additional transportation to be booked separately and at own expense. May be booked independently or through Alaska Railroad directly.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Alaska Railroad Corporation in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.