When tour guests asks us, "what one thing should I not miss in Portland," we pick the 4.5- to 5-mile (8-9 km) hike in Forest Park. No matter what the season, hiking in the park is entering another world right on the borders (and through the fabric) of the city.
We offer two daily departures, both with varied terrain and about 900 ft elevation gain. The morning hike is focused around a classic Northwest Portland experience, and ends at the International Rose Test Garden, the Forest Park Experience (9 a.m. to noon). The afternoon hike starts at Goose Hollow, weaves through the neighborhoods and up into the park, the Goose Hollow to the Forest (1 to 5 p.m.). Both pass the iconic spots; Japanese Garden, Pittock Mansion, and Witch's Castle; but take a different approach to the forest.
Being in Forest Park is to be immersed a fluid place that exists both in and out of time. In the forest—within minutes leaving the street—you can forget, or wonder at the fact that you are still in a city.
About This Deal
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Forest Park, Portland, OR 97231, USA
We'll make our way into Forest Park from the starting point, where we'll join the famous Wildwood Trail, a 43-mile long trail that has its origin over 110 years ago.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Wildwood Trail, 4033 SW Canyon Rd (trailhead: World Forestry Center), Portland, OR 97221-2760
We'll continue traveling along the Wildwood Trail
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Witch's Castle, Lower Macleay Trail, Portland, OR 97210, USA
We'll visit the former rest stop known as the "Witch's Castle," and tell stories about the witches that do live here now.
Duration: 5 minutes
Pass By: Pittock Mansion, 3229 NW Pittock Dr, Portland, OR 97210-5099
At the Pittock Mansion, we'll visit the grounds and see the expansive view of the city and the mountains surrounding it. We'll have a chance to eat some snacks in some of the city's prettiest public gardens.
Stop At: Washington Park, 4033 SW Canyon Rd, Portland, OR 97221-2760
We'll cross Burnside and pass into Washington Park (in the afternoon, we'll reverse this and see Washington Park before Forest Park). Because of construction to a planned bridge over Burnside throughout summer and early fall 2019, our tour winds down through the NW Portland neighborhoods (with beautiful views of the city and mountains), and crosses Burnside at a light-metered crosswalk.
Duration: 30 minutes
Pass By: Portland Japanese Garden, 611 SW Kingston Ave, Portland, OR 97205-5886
THE JAPANESE GARDEN HAS BEEN CLOSED PERIODICALLY THROUGHOUT THE PANDEMIC; please check with us about open hours. The trail through Washington Park passes right by the Japanese Garden; morning tour guests have an option of ending the tour here for afternoon tea and a stroll through the garden (admission not included).
Stop At: International Rose Test Garden, 400 SW Kingston Ave, Portland, OR 97205-5883
The Rose Garden will be the final stop of the morning tour, and the first stop of the afternoon tour; where we will most definitely stop and smell some of the 600 varieties of roses!
Duration: 15 minutes
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- The trails in Forest Park are busy and as guidelines change we suggest mask wearing through most of the experience, although it is not required except for indoors. Guides will wear masks everywhere that distancing is not possible.
- Bottled water - We'll bring along extra water, but you're encouraged to bring your own bottle! Portland's tap water is delicious.
- Gratuities (always appreciated)
3 to 4 hours
1: International Rose Test Garden, Portland, OR 97205, USA
2: The Clearing Cafe, 2772 NW Thurman St, Portland, OR 97210, USA
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Around Portland Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
- ALL SALES FINAL.
- Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates.
- Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment.
- Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale and Extraordinary Event Policy do not apply.
- See Viator voucher terms under "Viator Vouchers" here.