What You'll Get
See Dolphins and Snorkel in Kealakekua Bay, travel from the south to a marine life sanctuary, Kealakekua Bay, where the Captain Cook monument is located.
Once in Kealakekua Bay we snorkel there for approximately 45 minutes. Guest can expect to see sea turtles, bright colored reef fish, coral over 1500 years old, the Captain Cook Monument, freshwater springs, dolphin pods, and humpback whales who are here during the winter months. Our crew will be there to help assist anyone who needs help snorkeling as well as talking about the history and cultural significance of the area.
Along the way to the bay we will stop to swim with a pod of spinner dolphins. These wild dolphins are so commonly found we guarantee that we will take you again if we do not see any dolphins.
Spinner Dolphin Facts:
- Why do spinner dolphins leap and spin? There are several ideas. One is that they are trying to remove amoras, a kind of suckerfish that attach themselves to the dolphin’s bodies. Another possibility is that this could be a form of communication for the dolphins, and we also think they do it just to have fun!
- What time of the day do spinner dolphins rest and tend to their young? Spinner Dolphins will rest for about four to five hours and while resting will slowly swim back and forth. During this time, the dolphins do not spin or leap very often and sleep with half their brain alert to ensure they continue to breathe, while the other half of their brain is at rest. Many scientists also believe that dolphins keep half of their brain awake to be aware of predators.
- What do spinner dolphins eat? Hawaiian spinner dolphins feed on small fish, shrimp and squid, typically hunting at night in groups.
- How often do spinner dolphins reproduce? A spinner dolphin will give birth or “calve”, once every two to three years.
- How big are Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins? The average size for an adult spinner dolphin is roughly 6.5 feet weighing about 165 pounds.
- What is the Hawaiian word for the dolphins? Nai'a or Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins are shaped and colored somewhat differently from other spinner dolphins.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Infants four and under must provide their own life vests
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
- Collasible wheelchair accessible - if assistance is required, passenger must provide their own carer
- Bottled water
- Professional guide
- Use of snorkel equipment
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Bite Me Sportfishing Logo Store
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Bite Me Sportfishing in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.